Self Watering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usual problems are too much or to little in buckets, I have found wood in the bottom and standing them in a tray of water works pretty well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaky hose system along the whole of the left-hand side of the garden, supplied from a tap below the kitchen window.
It is in three sections, the bed beside the main patio, the rockery and then the rest of the border and the area in front of the bamboo at the bottom of the garden.
Two Hoselock multi-valves either side of the rockery mean I can water one section, or any combination of two, or all three.
Another leaky hose will water the narrow border between the shed and the summerhouse when required.

I also installed this over a decade ago, for about £50. It's speed-fit pipework, so not affected by frost or freezing.
It's rare that I have to use any of this more than a few times a year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a leaky hose system along the whole of the left-hand side of the garden, supplied from a tap below the kitchen window.
It is in three sections, the bed beside the main patio, the rockery and then the rest of the border and the area in front of the bamboo at the bottom of the garden.
Two Hoselock multi-valves either side of the rockery mean I can water one section, or any combination of two, or all three.
Another leaky hose will water the narrow border between the shed and the summerhouse when required.

I also installed this over a decade ago, for about £50. It's speed-fit pipework, so not affected by frost or freezing.
It's rare that I have to use any of this more than a few times a year.

Last Summer I was using 3,000 gallons of water a month. About a third of it inside.

But considering drip irrigation outside.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I did these in 5 gallon buckets for a few years. High maintenance unless you automate the filling of them. With something that small it really just turns into hydroponics-in-disguise as you're so dependent on the nutrients and fertilizer because the grow medium will be tapped out before harvest.

I don't bother with them anymore.

Ask a Question