Self Watering Container

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

New to gardening. I have a question for any of you with experience identifying bad bacteria growth/ mold. I made a self watering container and there seems to be green algae at the bottom now. The container has a spout that lets excess water drain. It is situated about 4 inches from the bottom. I used garden pest fabric to hold the soil. I have plastic gallon containers at the bottom that allow air to flow. The soil inside the fabric is allowed to dip down into the resovoir. I have about an inch of water at the bottom as you can see. I worry that the water is sitting and stagnating, growing mold that could be unhealthy. Does anyone know if this is true? Any advice, tips, pointers would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless,

Mitch
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Algae is a sign of overwatering or excess water. That looks nasty to me. I don't think I'd use that.

What are you trying to grow that you need an automatic waterer? If you don't have time to water, then you don't have time to garden or learn to garden just to put it bluntly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am inclined to agree with Yum Yum. There must be an automatic watering system that works, but I have never seen one. They give too little or too much and, when finally adjusted to perfection, the weather changes. Nothing like a regular look and a watering can.
That looks like blue green algae in the bottom, if you wanted to get rid of it you would have to wash it out with bleach, and if you miss a tiny speck it will be back. Making the container out of opaque material to cut the light out might help, but I wouldn't guarantee it.
Summer is coming, it will be mosquitoes next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Moss and other single cells are destroyed by oxygen so sodium percarbonate (like in oxi clean) kills moss and not higher level plants. This is the H2O2 pathway. Hydrogen Peroxide. Also if that is outside do not worry about it. Sunlight is part of that growth and that is not found inside. My tomato grow bags get that look later in the season. No problems.

Ask a Question