Why all my Drumstick tree or Moringa oleifera seedling dying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have large Drumstick tree in the garden, so I never tried to grow it from seed, but recently I gave it a shot.

I sow 5 - 6 seed in pot but non of them survived 2 weeks from germination though all of them germinated. Most of them died either over watered root rot or pest.

One seed germinated of its own on the ground soil, near pathway, I buried few stick around it so that I don't accidentally step on it.

Now, 2 days back I found the leaves on the plant is covered with something white in color.

I am sorry the images are blurry !

3333333333 (1).jpg

3333333333 (2).jpg 3333333333 (3).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have large Drumstick tree in the garden, so I never tried to grow it from seed, but recently I gave it a shot.

I sow 5 - 6 seed in pot but non of them survived 2 weeks from germination though all of them germinated. Most of them died either over watered root rot or pest.

One seed germinated of its own on the ground soil, near pathway, I buried few stick around it so that I don't accidentally step on it.

Now, 2 days back I found the leaves on the plant is covered with something white in color.

I am sorry the images are blurry !

View attachment 18717
View attachment 18718 View attachment 18719
Looks like some form of mildew. Being from India you might try Neem Oil to cure it. Otherwise all of the leaves will turn yellow and the little tree will more than likely die. It is probably stays too wet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have tried that on other seedlings, after spraying neem oil, the young plants shed all their leaves and die.
If neem didn't work spray 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of neem in a gallon of water. Spray either early or late in the day. Neem will not make a plant shed its leaves unless it was sprayed with a too strong a solution or it was sprayed in the heat of the day. You can also try 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This plant leaves are one of the most delicate plant, light wind or even too much flowers will break boughs.
On top of that its center of attraction for all kinds of insects, may be its the reason why no seedling grow under its shed.(n) Infected leaves rain on young seedling.

I will try baking soda :) and hope for best.
Thank you, Chuck:)

Ask a Question