Who grows pumpkin?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have so many Amish around me, its waste of my time to grow any. I just bought 4 pumpkins for decoration purposes for $4.00.

Love butternut squash, so much can do with it. cooking, pies, soups. wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Around here, pie pumpkins are around $4/each. I bought two and made pie. My wife who doesn't really like pumpkin pie and isn't the most discerning taste buds (usually she could care less if it's fresh or canned and claims to not notice a difference) absolutely loved it. She claims this is much better than the normal canned pumpkin. Even though canned everything else she claims no difference. So pie pumpkin is on the list for next year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
most pumpkins are not good for pies. so I use butternut squash or sweet potato for pies. that is my opinion.

These were "pie pumpkin". The little ones. It is VERY good. Two of them have be enough pure for 4 or 5 pies. I made two last night, might make pancakes tomorrow!

I was happy with these, so I saved the seeds too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@vette-kid , glad you know the difference. I did state that, because lots of folks don't know that not all pumpkins make good pies. anyway, @headfullofbees , why is it to difficult asking for them? For me its easier to make sweet potato pancakes, and it would taste like pumpkin as you use the same spices. I just, at some point of the week have a dinner where I roast an extra sweet potato, and put it in the fridge for later that week. simply peel the potato and go from there with the blender or food processor and same ingredients. comes out yummy..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have not looked up the nutrition facts. But I will, my wife loves sweet potato and I am hopeful for another harvest here in a month or so. Just made a sweet potato soup from the last harvest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
@vette-kid , glad you know the difference. I did state that, because lots of folks don't know that not all pumpkins make good pies. anyway, @headfullofbees , why is it to difficult asking for them? For me its easier to make sweet potato pancakes, and it would taste like pumpkin as you use the same spices. I just, at some point of the week have a dinner where I roast an extra sweet potato, and put it in the fridge for later that week. simply peel the potato and go from there with the blender or food processor and same ingredients. comes out yummy..
Well you try saying "Pumpkin pancakes please."

Ask a Question