What grows well with my soil type?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm going to be planting a garden basically in the forest, but more-so there are surrounding, Pine, Douglas Fir, Spruce, and Blue Spruce. There has been quite a lot of needles that have fallen and from what I can tell this acidifies the soil. What could I plant in this environment that could also thrive without having to change the soil much if at all. I thought I would come to a forum to ask since I am not more than an amateur gardener.

I know I could easily put down some wood ash to alkalize the soil, but I thought maybe there were things that could just grow naturally in harmony without having to cut down a lot of the surrounding trees. Thank you so much for your help in advance. This is also my first post here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have acidic soil but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Many gardeners have acidic soil, in fact I wish mine was more acidic. What you should do is find out your soils Ph before you do anything. More than likely your soil is between 5.5 and 6.8 in which case you don't have to do much of anything. I don't think you have to worry about the soil but I do think that if trees are surrounding the garden area that shade will be a huge factor to a successful garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As already mentioned, need more information, such as hardiness zone, location, and amount of sun/shade in the growing area. However, one plant that comes to mind that loves acid are blueberries. Also, I have some heavily shaded areas in my yard and I'm currently looking at various type of coffee plants for these areas. I won't be making coffee, but it should attract a lot of birds to my little habitat zone.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Im in zone 5a my Gardenia isn't doing so well, any tips?? Tried everything

Ask a Question