Who grows pumpkin?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love pumpkin flavor! The reason I love fall so much, everyone has pumpkin flavor... Everything! I enjoy it year round. Curious who grows pumpkin here and how do you use it! I have no idea how to make use of a whole pumpkin besides as a jack o lantern! If it's not too involved I might want to grow them someday.

Just curious, show is your pumpkin patch and tell us how you like to use them

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No pumpkins this year. The plants just didn't grow for me. I've had them the past two years though. I just grow them for autumn decorations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Plant the little pie pumpkins, they're sweeter. You can bake them, puree them, or make a pie, they are also good in stews and soup!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We grow pumpkins, involuntarily. I clean a pumpkin of seeds and that thready stuff and put it in the compost pile. Next season we get pumpkins in the pile. I've never purchased seed--we are on our third year of voluntary pumpkins with the original seeds from one I bought at the grocery. I agree that the pie pumpkins are best, but when they are free and you don't have to plant or tend them, I'll take what I get!
I wait until I think they are ripe (usually August or early September here) and pick them. I cut them in half around the equator, clean out the seeds and thready stuff, turn them upside down on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until they collapse. Cool the halves, scoop out the pulp, puree it in the food processor, and freeze in 2 cup amounts (just right for a pie). I also make pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@marlingardener , that's awesome! I actually have to of those pie pumpkins we bought as decorations. I may try to harvest the seeds when they start going bad as decorations.

So I'm clear, what you scoop out is the inside of the rhind? How far toward the outer shell can you get?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vette-kid, after the pumpkin is baked it's quite easy to scoop out the pulp all the way to the rind. The rind is tougher and holds together, but a large spoon will get all the pulp out with a little patience and a large bowl.
It's a bit of a shame to waste pie pumpkins as decorations. :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A little, but they came already painted and I'll not sure I want them in the oven with paint on them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can understand your hesitation about having painted pumpkins in your oven!
After Halloween, make a trip to your local grocery and see if pumpkins are marked down, a lot. Before our compost pile started becoming a pumpkin patch, I'd go to our grocery and get small pumpkins at half price, or less. Even the big Jacko'lantern pumpkins will do for cutting, baking, and freezing the pulp. It is just that the big ones are less dense and the little ones have more pulp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_20181001_162229103.jpg
IMG_20181001_162201005.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I grow pumpkin. Sweet varieties I cut into small pieces to eat raw. I bring it to the office (everyone brings their crops), put the sliced pumpkin on the plate and everyone eats it. Someone brings a carrot, turnip, so it turns assorted.

I also make pumpkin jam with oranges and lemons. And pumpkin roll with chocolate filling. :)

Ask a Question