How much of a problem is heat in outdoor container grows?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first year gardening. My soil isnt ready. So i opted to do container and grow bag grows. I'm located on the TN/GA/AL boarder

I remember when checking out rain towers in vertical gardening some people were recommending partially burying the containers because heat was a problem. I ordered some 5 gallon containers and 5 gallon grow bags. The bags are white(thinking of the heat reflection here). Pots are black. I'm using Taplas 5-1-1 mix for a lot of these. I have a lot started in doors already.

How much of a problem is heat going to be?

Would drainage be a problem if i decided to burying 75% of the container as prevention?

I don't know how much heat is too much. Or if my area is too hot I live in the chattanooga valley. I Figured I would just ask some experienced growers like you guys about this. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Could you tell us what you plan to plant in the containers and grow bags? Some vegetables like more heat than others, and the same goes for some flowers. Do you have the containers and bags in full sun, or are they shaded part of the day?
Please fill us in on more details and we may be able to help.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It depends on what you want to grow. Many plants thrive in hot weather. I live where heat is a MAJOR factor but I still grow just about everything. It isn't so much the ambient temp it is the soil temp on many vegs. Tomatoes are the exception. Just about all tomatoes except cherrys will not reliably set fruit when the ambient temps are above 74F NIGHTTIME TEMPS. Just about everything else is dependent on soil temps and you can control soil temps with mulch

Reaction score
Country
United States
The top of my list is, swiss chard, leeks, lots of tom varieties. A few melons trying vertical trellising. Trying some black carrots and berries as well. One guy was just telling me reflective insulation. I like the idea of moving the containers around. Thanks for telling me about night time temps. I didnt know that on toms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have some plants in containers too and one of it is fruiting - called star fruit. It is okay with the extreme heat as long as irrigation is enough, i.e. twice a day. But our pygmy guava which is also in a container couldn't bear the heat. It has lost almost all its leaves except for a few left. Last week we relocated it to a shady area and the remaining leaves are still holding on. I also saw yesterday some new leaves that are about to erupt.

I think burying a container on the ground will only magnify the heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe that my "joke" corn a few years ago grew in a grow bag. In Texas. On my concrete driveway. I got 2 joke ears of corn (plant was over 5 feet), but it grew. My first post here was about being "haphazard" with my approach to gardening (I plan, but don't fret much about the science of growing other than to place in sun and water and let Mother Nature do her thing). So I say go for it, just make sure you water as much as needed. I use Moisture Control soil. Don't know if it's really all that special, but I use it.

Ask a Question