White Cherokee Dogwood - overwatered by rain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a white Cherokee dogwood that I planted in spring. It was doing well, however I believe it's showing signs of being over-watered. The problem is I've only watered it 2 or three times all summer. Here in Delaware we've had an unusually wet year.

Before I take matters farther, I want to make sure I'm correct in my diagnosis. If this is the case, I can try and put a tarp down around the tree base, but I don't know how effective that will even be.

Pictures were taken at night.

Ideas / comments please!!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a white Cherokee dogwood that I planted in spring. It was doing well, however I believe it's showing signs of being over-watered. The problem is I've only watered it 2 or three times all summer. Here in Delaware we've had an unusually wet year.

Before I take matters farther, I want to make sure I'm correct in my diagnosis. If this is the case, I can try and put a tarp down around the tree base, but I don't know how effective that will even be.

Pictures were taken at night.

Ideas / comments please!!
Yes, take it down because in order the the plant to move moisture from the ground up through the stem and back into the environment it must have a breeze blowing in the canopy. On the underside of the leaves, there are 100s of stomata that open and release water and gases. If there is no wind the moisture will not be released and can cause diseases like root rot or powdery mildew, and a few others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you identify fungus on plants?

Different fungi can attack different plants and plant organs, so fungal infections cause an enormous range of disease symptoms, such as color and shape changes, rotting, wounds, and wilting Color changes can appear as leaf yellowing and can be accompanied by changes in leaf shape. Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. What can I do about the infection?? Right now it's getting plenty of sun and any breeze going by should go right through it.
Don't use any chemicals if you can help it. The best thing anyone can do to plants having problems is to aerate the soil with a hand cultivator. Keep the soil loose around the plants so the water can transpire between waterings. .

Ask a Question