Where do you get your seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If and when I buy seeds I order from Burpee's seed because their seed are GMO free and they do stand behind the seeds and plants. Most seeds and plants I trade for are from people who have GMO / chemical free gardens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have ordered from Pine Tree Seeds for years, but this year they changed their on-line catalog to user-unfriendly and upped the shipping price. I went ahead and ordered from them for the last time, since I hadn't received any other catalogs and here in Texas we have an earlier starting time for planting indoors to transplant outdoors later.
I think in the fall I'll try Seeds 'n Such (www.SeedsNSuch.com) because they have many of the same seeds, generous packets, and lower shipping costs at "always under $3". If that works out, I'll make that site my primary source for seeds.
I always fall victim to the seed displays at Ace Hardware and at Atwood's (a farm and ranch supply). I do buy seed potatoes and onion bulbs at Atwood's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I never buy my seeds. Whatever I am planting either my neighbours give some to me or I use my own seeds from the old dried specimens. If it is a red pepper that I had I leave some to go very red and the they dry in the sun and I am left with bunch of seeds inside.

I have these http://www.dijetaizdravlje.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ljute-papricice.jpg

Sometimes if I need some herbs like dill, basil or wild mint I just go to take a walk down the river bank and pick some when it is time. A lot of these are growing around my home town river and my grandmother taught me to collect these and reuse them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I remember, we never buy seeds for our garden. We just save the seeds from our harvest and keep it in small envelopes after drying. For some other seeds, they were given to us like the sugar apple that is imported from Thailand, it was a gift from a cousin. The persimmon is also a gift from a friend who thougth persimmons will thrive here but until now it is not sprouting yet.

Reaction score
I usually buy my seeds from the market if they're those beautiful roses or sunflowers but I also ask some from my neighbors and they're kind enough to share some with me. One neighbor of mine even gives out oranges he grows in his backyard. Neighborly love goes a long way. Try supporting your local gardening group or farmer's market as well and buy from them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I really get a great deal of satisfaction growing from seed, so I do so when I can.

I was at a local Nursery chain here and they had their 2015 Botanical Interest seeds on sale for half price... I bought a whole bunch.

I also recently ordered a bunch of mostly Native - Drought Tolerant or Semi Drought Tolerant plants on line. For what I wanted I had to use 2 different companies.

http://www.dianeseeds.com/
http://www.everwilde.com/

I gather about 5% or less from my own plants, I buy about 30% locally and about 65% on-line. I frequently buy on-line as I can't get the seed I'm looking for locally. I also prefer to be able to get all my seeds from once source when I'm seed shopping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I do buy my seeds from a local farmers store. I have always valued quality and that is why I do buy qualified seeds. I don't like planting seeds which have been stored for long time because I keen about their viability.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you buy your seeds in a local big box store? Save them yourself? Trade them? Order them online?

Where do you get your seeds and why?

The best place to get seeds is to get heirloom seeds from a fellow gardener for a variety of plant that they had success growing in your local area. I have obtained really great vegetable seeds this way, for heirloom tomatoes, green beans, and pumpkins. The great thing about heirloom seeds, is that you can then preserve the seeds from your harvested produce at the end of the season, and then use those seeds again the next year for the same produce.

If I cannot find local heirloom seeds, then I will purchase my seeds from Dollar Tree or Menards. They are usually sold for .10 cents to .25 cents per package, and they usually work out okay. Usually Dollar Tree will have vegetable and flower garden seeds when they are stocking spring amd Easter seasonal items. I have also seen .10 cent and .25 cent seed packets at local hardware stores like Ace Hardware in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
I get mine from the burpee company directly. I always make sure they are organic. I know they have burpee seeds at the store, but ordering right from the company guarantees that they are fresh! I have noticed that off brands just don't grow as well.

Reaction score
My seeds are usually bought on a whim. I tend to go to Lowes for something and end up walking out with random seeds from the gardening section. I've always wanted to order seeds online because it'd allow me to have a bigger selection, but I really enjoy looking at them in person. I don't think I've ever actively sought out seeds. I always end up buying them because I come across something I like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
The couple of times that I've tried to grow stuff from seeds has just been with ones I have purchased from my local gardening store/nursery.

In saying that though, it's not all that often that I try things from seeds - I usually buy the plants that just require me to re-pot them (I find it easier and more successful!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the seeds I have are from plants I already have in the garden, Although I can be a little sneaky as I walk around the garden center looking for ideas for new plants, I see something |I like i will write the name down and then look online for seeds or a cheaper small plant. I very rarely buy plants anymore, It has to be something very special. I do sell some seeds on ebay occasionally and I also swop with others if I get the chance. At present I have around 30 differents seeds and pods in my greenhouse waiting to be sorted and planted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I get mine from the burpee company directly. I always make sure they are organic. I know they have burpee seeds at the store, but ordering right from the company guarantees that they are fresh! I have noticed that off brands just don't grow as well.

All Burpee veggy seeds are GMO free that's why I order seeds from them when I buy seeds.

Ask a Question