Where do you get your seeds?

Reaction score
Do you buy your seeds in a local big box store? Save them yourself? Trade them? Order them online?

Where do you get your seeds and why?

Reaction score
I have so many seed catalogues sitting on my floor right now it's not funny. Every company I have ever bought seeds from and all their relatives too. :p

I really like Territorial Seed Company, and Horizon Herbs. Both of those are pretty specific to the Western US coast I believe, though Territorial might ship nationwide (probably do.)

Seeds of Change is good for organic seeds. Botanical Interests is another good one. But at times I have run across seed offers from all manner of companies and decided what the heck, go for it! These are just some I remember liking.

I have bought specialty seed also from tomato growers and folks who propagate various heirloom plants.

I also have saved seed from many types of flowers and vegetables. Saving seed is a lot of fun actually and I even have a bunch of little wax paper envelopes to store them in, from the last time I was really active with that.

I keep seeds in my refrigerator in a dry storage bin so they usually last longer than one season.

Reaction score
I buy most of my seeds from a government horticultural company. Here I am sure of the quality of seeds I buy. I also trade with my friends.. exchange seeds with others.. we also exchange small plant cutting we have grown in containers.
I also collect seeds fruit flowers or fruits we eat. I am growing some daisies from flowers I bought ... I noticed that a couple of them had uncut roots :D and I planted them.. they look so lovey growing and producing a nice bunch of flowers.
I hardly buy seeds online.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Chiltern seeds for unusual things, got my tobacco, loofah & Caper seeds from them, also some tea seeds which I failed to get going.

Heritage varieties from The Real Seed Company, they encourage you to save your wn heritage plants, odd business model:D

I also swap seeds with people.

Reaction score
It all depends on what I am growing and how much money I have. Sometimes I get seeds from a friend or order online, but lately I have been buying them locally. Sometimes discount stores have seeds for pennies per package, and I will buy those. The seed viability isn't always the greatest, but I have had the same luck with brand new seed packages as well on occasion.

I will also save seeds from one year to the next; if I remember to gather them before it snows. This past fall it snowed early and a fair bit, so I know I have some major cleanup to do in my garden beds. I will see how many seeds I can salvage; they have already been stratified. :)

Reaction score
I get alot of my seeds from my friends or family who also like to grow their own crops. Its just easier that way :) I also like to order online.

Reaction score
I am going to try parkseed this year. I usually get them at the big box stores but Parkseed has some varieties I have never seen before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I usually buy them in a store near my place, I always spend there more money than I planed. I can't help it:p
I also save a lot of seeds from vegetables:)

Reaction score
I do a combination of things. I usually buy them from a store nearby. I do sometimes save my own, though.

And I've done 'trades' online before, too, which was pretty cool.

Reaction score
This year was my first attempt at starting seeds I saved from last year. So far I have had zero luck. Im thinking I may need to find a gardening mentor to educate me.

Reaction score
I usually look through about 4-5 seed catalogs per year, but I usually have to go the cheapest route due to finances, so Wal-mart, I'm sorry to say gets my business. Every year so far, I haven't been too disappointed with the outcome. We have still been able to freeze and can tons of food for ourselves, parents and our grandparents. It does help that we all know how to make a little go along way.

Reaction score
I usually look through about 4-5 seed catalogs per year, but I usually have to go the cheapest route due to finances, so Wal-mart, I'm sorry to say gets my business. Every year so far, I haven't been too disappointed with the outcome. We have still been able to freeze and can tons of food for ourselves, parents and our grandparents. It does help that we all know how to make a little go along way.

Me too. I order 3 seed catalogs a year, but I'm on a budget so I end up buying seeds at Walmart or Home Depot. Home Depot sometimes has plants marked down throughout the year. It usually comes down to price, because I'm on a budget. The big box seeds work but I don't buy live herb plants from Walmart because their herb plants always look dried out, like they don't get enough water in the store.

Reaction score
I usually purchase seedlings from Walmart of Ace. I have ordered seeds from ebay and amazon. I have a Park Seed catalog and I have some items I would like for my 2013 summer garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't plant many vegetables from seeds. I usually buy the little plants. However, I buy them at stores such as Lowes or Home Depot. I also try to get as much from farmers markets as possible. I prefer to support local farms and nurseries rather then big name stores.

Ask a Question