When to move plants

Reaction score
I planted some seeds for watermelon and broccoli in those little start pots- I am wondering at what size its best to move them into something bigger. A few of them ended up too deep and so I'm worried they will die if I wait too long to move them to somewhere they can root in better. Also- Will Broccoli and tiny watermelon's work well with container gardening or do I really need to make a garden bed?

Reaction score
I don't know much about broccoli though I intend to grow them.. However, I never transplant water melon wines. I usually sow the seeds and let them grow in the container in which I intend they to grow. I guess a plant with 8-10 inches of growth would be good for planting into the soil if the weather is conducive. I have seen my father do that with all kind of melons.

Reaction score
We transplant our watermelons when they have two sets of leaves, but, more importantly, when the weather has turned warmer and drier, as they don't like cold and wet. You can grow both melons and broccoli in containers. We have put the melons in containers about 18in wide, and broccoli needs a pot 12in wide x 12in deep.

Reaction score
We have put the melons in containers about 18in wide, and broccoli needs a pot 12in wide x 12in deep.

And you can just set these outside and they do fine? I would need to bring them in at night, would that be a problem?

Reaction score
Ours are outside now but we cover them with plastic bottles at night. The night time temperatures here can still drop to about 4 or 5 degrees although it is in the high 20s during the day.

Reaction score
Ahh, covering them up sounds better than trotting them in and out of the house everyday. Come to think of it, I've seen people put plastic grocery bags over their plants.

Ask a Question