Something is eating my hollyhock......and when can i move these other plants?

Reaction score
So my hollyhock leaves have a bunch of holes in them and I've been seein beetles on the leaves. I've taken a couple pictures and I'm hoping someone can tell me what they are and what to do about it. Maybe I'm wrongeven in assuming the beetles are the culprit. I don't know. These flowers also seem to be a favorite for bees, so getting all up in there is kinda tricky since they are usually swarming all over the place.

Also, this little spot in my garden seems to get more shade then I initially thought, so these sunloving plant don't seem to be thriving. The hollyhock is only about 6" tall when it's sisters on the other side are now as tall as I am. The russian sage looks pathetic and seems to be reaching for some sun, it's sisters are also 5 times as big now. The beebalm I am not sure if it is k where it is or not. It's on the edge of where the house is shadig these other plants. Looks pretty brown right now because we haven't had any rain in forever, but it still grew and flowered really nice, so maybe that one doesn't need to be moved. Not sure. Anyway, when and how should I go about pulling these up and putting them in another location? I also have a pretty good sized tiger lily out front that I want to move back to this garden as well. Can I do all of them now, should I wait. Any info on transplanting would be great. I think the hibiscus and strawberry plants in the front are getting the full sun still.
DSC05277.JPG
CreepyAssBeetles.jpg
HolyHollyhock.jpg

Reaction score
That looks like beetles are eating those leaves. I have the japanese beetles that devour my grape vine leaves. But I have not seen any this year. You have to get rid of the grubs in your yard, this is the time of year to put down grubex or something similar for your lawns and landscaping. You could also put out a beetle trap but you want to put it in a corner of your yard as you don't want to attract them through your landscaping to get to the trap, or they might decide to stop and munch on some of your other plants and never make it to the trap. Even better put it in your neighbors yard...:)

Reaction score
Haha.....my neighbors would just love that I am sure! So by putting something like that down does that mean it will take care of the problem for next year, and I am just stuck with those things for this year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The Japanese beetle is hard on grape vine leaves.. They cannot fly very well and can be hand picked or shake the vine in a wind and they are driven elsewhere. Some years there are millions of them. Traps can be used but this does not reduce their numbers much, but it makes one feel good since they collect such large numbers. The beetle attacks almost all plants.

Do a google for traps. They all work for a price.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKSUW 17 July 2013 Japanese Beetle
The Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica) skeletonizes the leaves of my grape vines. I have also seen a few on the potato plants in small numbers. They appear every year, certainly over the last three years.This year they are rather sparse and appear ill fed. My local control is to flip them off the vines into a pail of water, or simply squash between thumb and forefinger,or shake the vines on a windy day and they disappear.They are poor flyers.The damage is acceptable if they are not left to feed. They can skeltonize the grape leaves in an afternoon, since they are often in large numbers. Fifty to one hundred is not uncommon. Birds eat many when in the white grub stage.

26%20june%202012%20japanese%20beetle%20026_std.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question