Squirrel or something eating my zucchini plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ah! I had absolutely gorgeous zucchini plants. They have started with their male blooms. I knew it wouldn't be too long before female blooms showed and I could hand pollinate (been too wet for bees). But, the other day I went out to fertilize and saw half of my plants leaves and the blossom that had closed up were EATEN! At first I thought insect but looked closer and they look chewed on. I thought rabbit at first. Then I saw holes dug. Small, shallow holes. So, I thought squirrel since that's the only other animal I can think of that's going to be active during the day that can actually access our yard since we have big privacy fencing (meaning deer definitely can't get in). I just dunno how to keep them out. They're only chewing on my squash plants and one or two leaves on my okra and my sweet peppers. Whatever it is doesn't seem repelled by the repellent. I dunno if putting something else out for them to eat may help them stay away from my garden or if I'll need to find something to cage them out. I would hate to have to go buy starts for zucchini. I started these myself and was so proud cause it's my first time starting anything from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah! I had absolutely gorgeous zucchini plants. They have started with their male blooms. I knew it wouldn't be too long before female blooms showed and I could hand pollinate (been too wet for bees). But, the other day I went out to fertilize and saw half of my plants leaves and the blossom that had closed up were EATEN! At first I thought insect but looked closer and they look chewed on. I thought rabbit at first. Then I saw holes dug. Small, shallow holes. So, I thought squirrel since that's the only other animal I can think of that's going to be active during the day that can actually access our yard since we have big privacy fencing (meaning deer definitely can't get in). I just dunno how to keep them out. They're only chewing on my squash plants and one or two leaves on my okra and my sweet peppers. Whatever it is doesn't seem repelled by the repellent. I dunno if putting something else out for them to eat may help them stay away from my garden or if I'll need to find something to cage them out. I would hate to have to go buy starts for zucchini. I started these myself and was so proud cause it's my first time starting anything from seed.
more than likely field rats or mice.................at night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It could be them nasty squirrels because they been eating the tops off my bush beans and digging them up. The dog has been out by the vegetable garden running the off all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well, I figured out what sort of critter has been nibbling at my squash plants. It was definitely the furry, four legged variety. It just wasn't the one I thought it was. I was outside mulching yesterday (finally, finally got the bags delivered) and was pruning off the nibbled vines and blossoms that had opened and closed. I was just tossing them onto the ground so they weren't in the way when I mulched. I'd intended to put them in my compost bin now that I have it put together. But, lo and behold, my DOG laid down next to me and began EATING the vines and blossoms! I hadn't even considered it might be my dog because of the way things were bitten at in more of a nibbling, small bite fashion. But then I was out back again in the evening and saw her do just that with me not ten feet away! She doesn't seem too interested in any of the other plants. Well, except my okra. I've had to holler out at her while she was sniffing around my okra from the minute I put it out. Not sure why but it looks like I'll be headed to the hardware store for some chicken wire or other fencing material to keep her out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I figured out what sort of critter has been nibbling at my squash plants. It was definitely the furry, four legged variety. It just wasn't the one I thought it was. I was outside mulching yesterday (finally, finally got the bags delivered) and was pruning off the nibbled vines and blossoms that had opened and closed. I was just tossing them onto the ground so they weren't in the way when I mulched. I'd intended to put them in my compost bin now that I have it put together. But, lo and behold, my DOG laid down next to me and began EATING the vines and blossoms! I hadn't even considered it might be my dog because of the way things were bitten at in more of a nibbling, small bite fashion. But then I was out back again in the evening and saw her do just that with me not ten feet away! She doesn't seem too interested in any of the other plants. Well, except my okra. I've had to holler out at her while she was sniffing around my okra from the minute I put it out. Not sure why but it looks like I'll be headed to the hardware store for some chicken wire or other fencing material to keep her out.
I have a mini weenie dog. He has acquired an appetite for grub worms and he roams the garden sniffing them out and digging them up along with the unintended consequences of trampling my plants. Luckily he can only trample small plants as his legs are only about 3 inches long

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine is a Siberian husky. A 52 lb one at that. How she manages to delicately nibble I dunno but I saw her doing it. I'm considering picking some male blossoms to eat myself and maybe if I get too many I'll give her some as a treat since she clearly enjoys them.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to hear you found out what was the problem in the garden. I would never have thought a dog would eat your garden, dig it up yes but not eat it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good to hear you found out what was the problem in the garden. I would never have thought a dog would eat your garden, dig it up yes but not eat it.
My thoughts exactly. I didn't expect to have to keep an eye out for that until fruit started appearing. I didn't think foliage would appeal to the knuckleheaded dog. But, she's a weird one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Too funny! One of my dogs eats tomatoes right off the vine. Not the green ones mind you - he waits until they are perfectly ripe.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dogs are funny little people they will eat the things you don't think they would. Fern is a chubby 17 lb Chihuahua who will eat most vegetable if there cooked but loves her hot peppers raw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dogs are funny little people they will eat the things you don't think they would. Fern is a chubby 17 lb Chihuahua who will eat most vegetable if there cooked but loves her hot peppers raw.
They are funny people. And it really was just the dog snacking on the leaves. Ever since I've been going out with her and catching her before she can try to snack, no more leaves are gone.

Ask a Question