Summer squirrels birds/ cover??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey all what do u do to keep squirrel or birds away for your fruits, veggies etc? Last year I was growing tomatoes , celery etc and darn squirrel chew them all even my avocado seed that I try to grow in water I don't have a green house since I'm doing everything on my patio but if I can make a small one I'd love to. Or how can I cover my bucket of veggies and fruits etc? Any pics plz that would help thx

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can use hot pepper, ground cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it all over the plants and around the soil at the base of the stems. Squirrels hate it. Plant some marigolds too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Squirrels, birds, moles, most animals are my garden friends. I have 20 wren bird houses I never spray for bugs. Pans of water in the garden in 100 degree weather will keep birds from pecking holes in the tomatoes to get a drink. Turtles can climb right up a tomato plant and eat a whole tomato. Moles eat cut worms, wasp larva, grubs, etc. Dogs will dig up the garden and the moles. I have 2 cats. Rabbits and Deer can be a problem. Skunks, ground hogs, possums, raccoons are never a problem.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Rabbits and deer would be my only real problem but we have coyotes in the area so I don't think the rabbits will be a problem for too long. As for the deer, we have a couple of wild apple trees in the back yard and they go for those before the garden. I'm also planting in a greenhouse so that helps a lot. I have heard about the marigolds and have planted some, we'll see if that helps as well. My only issue with the birds is they would dig up the seeds I had just planted, with the green house they can't do it anymore so I set up a couple of bird feeders for them because I felt bad. Pans of water is a good idea though so they don't peck at your tomatoes.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is what I am using to keep the deer from destroying my plants. Cages built out of chicken wire and covered with bird netting.
2016-4-26 deer cage.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Croatia
I have similar problem with squirrels, little darn things jump in the garden and gobble up all my carrots and beans so this year I bought protecting cover net. It would work great for bushes and small vegetables. And it's really cheap. Here 32x32ft costs around $3.
100_1327.JPG
100_1329.JPG

As for tomatoes I have no idea what you could use since you have to move the cover to work there. Maybe making a big wire cage and planting them inside.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
As for the birds, you can use sharp sticks between the rows and attach ribbons to vibrate in the wind to keep the birds away. The squirrels are quite a bit of a a challenge you have to bait them. I think use of indocid capsules can be effective. I have used them to eliminate rats at home.

Ask a Question