Quick tip to keep squirrels from eating your plants

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn’t hurt the plant and the squirrels won’t come near it. It works with rabbits and raccoons, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Most of the squirrels that we see here are on trees. They eat whatever fruits they can lay their hands on But we have plenty to share :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a good method.
Fortunately, squirrels have never tried to destroy my or my parents' plants. They spend time jumping from one tree to the other. I love watching them:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This sounds like a good method.
Fortunately, squirrels have never tried to destroy my or my parents' plants. They spend time jumping from one tree to the other. I love watching them:)

Maybe our equivalent here is possums. They don't worry me but apparently they eat roses. I have heard them thumping across our roof top and do make a din with their growling but at present its not a problem for me. I know it is for some. The local shire rent out possum cages. You collect the possums and take them out of the area to release them but I think they come back.....boomerang possums!!!;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never in my life had squirrels bother anything in the garden. Well, except for the bird feeder.
Squirrels will chew on bones to keep their teeth honed. I have an old deer skull wedged in a tree branch off my back deck for them. :)
skull.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe our equivalent here is possums. They don't worry me but apparently they eat roses. I have heard them thumping across our roof top and do make a din with their growling but at present its not a problem for me. I know it is for some. The local shire rent out possum cages. You collect the possums and take them out of the area to release them but I think they come back.....boomerang possums!!!;)
Haha:D It's wonderful that you don't kill them:)
There are no possums in my area and squirrels are very nice and harmless. I'm such a lucky girl:D The worst thing that can happen to my plants are spider mites.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, as far as I know squirrels never messed with my plants :) But you never know when you might need a tip like this! I'll have this in mind with my new garden.

Ask a Question