Squirrel's eat camellia flower buds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do squirrels eat the flower buds on my camellia they stripped it no flowers at all may be it was the colour of the flowers which were red I found it confusing.
Someone on the forum may know why they do this its the first time they done it.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How weird, I've never heard of squirrels doing that before! We've got camelias in our garden and the squirrels never go near them... but perhaps it's because they're too bus trying to steal the bird food ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Don't Know if anyone can answer why they do it . All I know is they sometimes have a nibble on the buds then decide they don't like them. You can get Squirrel repellent Spray. I do know the Camellia is related to the Tea plant we put in our cup ......SO maybe they like Tea:Dmmmmmm Try putting out a cup of tea for them;)

there is also The very tiny camellia bud mite which infests the flower buds and flowers causing them to go brown and fall. Early in the year

Temperature changes that happen too fast for the plant can also cause flower buds to drop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-...9339&sr=8-1&keywords=squirrel+deterrent+spray

Ask a Question