What's this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On behalf of a local friend. This came up in one of her flowerpots. If you look closely it has teeny tiny yellow and white flowers going on.
20160716_164253.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like one of the Nightshades.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmm maybe? Good call! Deadly nightshade is a common weed here and I know it is not that (at least the common weedy local version.) I'll look up some other possibilities in that family; thanks zigs. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm. Doesn't look like a familiar weed to me, but I gave her the pot with soil in it this spring and last year I grew tomatillos...but I am not quite sure that's what it is though the leaves do look similar. I guess I'll suggest she lets it grow and see what happens. It gets full sun on her front porch.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We got 3 Nightshades over here, Black, Woody & Deadly.

Black nightshade is a common veg garden weed, woody nightshade grows on railway embankments and in all the years I've been studying wildflowers I've never found a Deadly Nightshade :(

Probably a good thing with me though :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I double-checked with Dr Google, deadly nightshade is exactly what grows wild here. My yard was full of it but I did a search and destroy mission on the stuff a few weeks ago and for now it is gone. So the plant pictured above is definitely not that; I am well-acquainted with it.

At another house years ago, one of my Rottweilers kept coming up with facial swelling, dilated pupils and acting rather loopy. (She was sort of "special" o_O to begin with lol.) My vet was baffled and so was I. Then I read about belladonna poisoning and figured maybe the silly Rottweiler had been eating the berries? So I got into the habit of eliminating it and she never had one of her episodes again.

I told my friend, just keep watering it and see what happens. If those wee blossoms turn into something edible all the better. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, wonder what she was seeing ? :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ding-ding! @Chuck nailed it. Definitely a tomatillo - it's getting baby fruits now. I grew one last year; a stray seed must've gotten into that pot.

Into the garden it went. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure it is before you eat it. Don't want you dying of death :eek:

Ask a Question