What's my shrub?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm a rubbish Gardener with too little time.

I have a shrub (I think) in the garden which I planted 7-8 years ago. I really like it, but it's got too big for its current location, so I'm considering moving it. Another alternative is to cut it back.

If I knew what it was, I could look up some guidelines on transplanting and pruning, but as it is, I'm stuck. I really don't want to damage it.

Anyway, I have attached a couple of images, and would be grateful if any you could identify it, or even suggest how I should prune it, or if it can be moved.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20150614_170339.jpg
    IMG_20150614_170339.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20150614_170405.jpg
    IMG_20150614_170405.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL @ rubbish gardener. :D

That's a lovely shrub. I have no clue what it is but I want one now. Probably not helpful really but for most flowering shrubs, fall (autumn) is the best time for transplanting.
I hope someone identifies that for you. There are a couple of UK members who are really good at plant identification.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum K2sul - oh and I too don't think that you can be a rubbish gardener either - I mean just look at your garden :D

Anyways as to what your little shrub is - I would very definitely say that its is this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/5722689930/

one of the many varieties of variegated " Ceanothus " or Californian Lilac as it is more commonly known - which although relatively hardy and extremely easy to care for - as they more or less take care of themselves - hopefully this link

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=354

will help answer some of your queries regarding care and pruning :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a variegated cultivar of California Lilac, specifically it is Ceanothus griseus 'Pershore Zanzibar'. The cultivar name is often shortened to just 'Zanzibar'.

There are other variegated Ceanothus cvs but they differ in noticeable ways. For examples, there is a sport of C. griseus 'Pershore Zanzibar' called C. griseus 'El Dorado' which has more green than yellow on the leaf. There is also low-growing cultivar known as Ceanothus griseus var. horizontalis 'Diamond Heights'.

Ask a Question