What's Looking Good in June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The flowers in the pics are incredible. I'm not use to seeing anything like that.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do all those cacti that bloom produce fruit? There are small little ones that grow wild in Saskatchewan. I had no idea they grew in Canada until I was in my late twenties and traveled to Sask. The fruit was delicious made into jam.

The Opuntias with the flat pads produce fruit called the prickly pear, that's the thing Baloo the Bear was on about in the Jungle Book :D That was probably what you saw in Canadia, there are some hardy ones that can grow in the cold. I've got one that's been out in the snow for a few years. It's not growing as well as the one in the pic though.

The others produce seed pods that on the whole you wouldn't class as edible fruit, although the mice like some of them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Echinopsis have started to flower :)

DSC05341.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I made a video of the Opuntia from it's winter sleep to flowering but I won't put it on this thread, it's on my Youtube :)

Tetter's Rambling Rector has gone off today...

DSC05478.JPG
DSC05477.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you Pepper. With the flower stalks they are no more than 1ft tall.
They remind me a bit like Lilly of the Valley, one of my favorite flowers. I love flowers that hang like that. Reminds me of lanterns in a way, silly as that sounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You may be able to buy them in your area but I suggest you look at nurseries/garden centres that sell rockery plants. They do self seed but aren't rampant and can be found growing in cracks in garden walls etc. - so pretty tough plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question