What's looking good in June 2016

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Let's see what you've got! :D

Check out this bougainvillea I saw last week - not my garden sadly!

DSC_0017.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
If anyone ever has a decision on taking a second hobby behind gardening, I would highly recommend hiking for this very reason. Of course you have to be the type of person who can stop and smell the ´roses´ also. I am living in central america now, and it is amazing to be able to just go for a hike somewhere and see all these amazing exotic plants in breathtaking colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)Hello neighbor @petesede So where are your photos? Although i should be the last one to ask. When i first moved to Mexico and some five years plus after, every weekend involved in hiking in the out of the way (way out of the way) places for over 5 years and i never took a camera with me:eek: I guess i like to travel light. It is an amazing way to meet the people and to get to know a country. The experiences were mind-boggling. The interior is practically empty, mountainous and marvelous ...such a different experience from hiking in the US. It was funny to see so many "house plants" growing wild:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
My goodness @Vinaya what a simply breath-taking rose and i am not really a fan of roses, but i love this rose, and i love the photo, and i love the fragrance (yes, i can too smell it). If i were going to name this photo, i would name it "Serenity". The July photo contest it titled "flowers", so i hope you enter this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
What a beautiful blue the Alkanet is. I understand it is frequently used as a dye. You could dye your hair with it @zigs , but i don't think it will come out that lovely shade of blue, more likely it will be a reddish color. Have you tried using it as a dye? It would be nice to get an id on the pointy purple flower because it is so unusual. Does it have a fragrance?

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
What a beautiful blue the Alkanet is. I understand it is frequently used as a dye. You could dye your hair with it @zigs , but i don't think it will come out that lovely shade of blue, more likely it will be a reddish color. Have you tried using it as a dye? It would be nice to get an id on the pointy purple flower because it is so unusual. Does it have a fragrance?
I use alkanet in my herbal products for color...I use it the most often in lavender soaps and also rose salves. The color is different when mixed with different things, for me. You make me wonder what it would do in hair!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
You might try it on just a little bit of hair @NatalieW as an experiment. My understanding is that the color comes from the root of the plant, is that correct? I wonder if it would be a permanent or temporary dye?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

One of it's other names is Dyer's alkanet, not tried it meself.

Apparently they're Echiums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Definitely an Echium but i'm not sure about the species. I'll bet the bees love them:)

Ask a Question