What's looking good in April 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Green, green, and more green.
Agastache grown from seed newly transplanted, 4 in a row.
P1020617.JPG
More Agastache grown from seed newly transplanted 4 in a row plus one wayward one. Aluminum foil to protect from slugs
P1020618.JPG

Jasmine nitidum. Have you ever seen such leaves? Well yes, you probably have. This is all new growth since a transplant 26 March and lots of buds ready to burst into bloom.
P1020619.JPG
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
that's the first time I've seen foil used to keep slugs at bay, does it work 100%?
For larger areas, i use copper tubing, but i think the aluminum foil is more reliable. One year i had a terrible time with slugs and did not have a good organic option. I had planted a small grouping of dahlias, had read somewhere about aluminum foil, and since the slugs had eaten just about every thing else, i tried it on the dahlia seedlings and not one seedling was touched. So the dahlias survived and grew well. It was the first time i had planted dahlias and i decided that i don't really like dahlias, so in the end, i pulled them up:rolleyes: I have used it occasionally since that experience around seedlings that i don't want to take a chance on and so far, for me, it has worked 100%.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Look how pretty this is! Smells good, too.:love: It's growing in a thick patch where my front walk meets the sidewalk. (No, they are not weeds!) :LOL:

0416170924b.jpg

While I was looking at the flower bed, two of the cats were looking good. :)

This is Dunder. (Because he is a Dunderhead.)

0417171354bDunder.jpg

This one's name is... :oops: probably better censored in the forum. :censored:

:poop: Kitty... Just make it rhyme. :whistle:

0417171355aSKitty.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
For larger areas, i use copper tubing, but i think the aluminum foil is more reliable. One year i had a terrible time with slugs and did not have a good organic option. I had planted a small grouping of dahlias, had read somewhere about aluminum foil, and since the slugs had eaten just about every thing else, i tried it on the dahlia seedlings and not one seedling was touched. So the dahlias survived and grew well. It was the first time i had planted dahlias and i decided that i don't really like dahlias, so in the end, i pulled them up:rolleyes: I have used it occasionally since that experience around seedlings that i don't want to take a chance on and so far, for me, it has worked 100%.

Great Slug beater Beverly(y) I have used Copper strip's round pots Which works well but costs a lot more than Tin foil >....So can't wait to try this out on my potted Hostas :) I was about to buy loads of copper:whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Daren ... i think the slugs do not want to cross the barrier because they don't want to crawl up and over. They seem to run into the barrier and take a detour around. This is what i think anyway because of the slime trail. So i am not sure how well a strip of foil would work. I have always doubled the foil up and crunched it a bit to create some altitude and a crinkled surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
@Daren ... i think the slugs do not want to cross the barrier because they don't want to crawl up and over. They seem to run into the barrier and take a detour around. This is what i think anyway because of the slime trail. So i am not sure how well a strip of foil would work. I have always doubled the foil up and crunched it a bit to create some altitude and a crinkled surface.

Still I'm going to have to test this out asp ;) There are two reasons given for copper working as a slug repellent; toxicity and electric shock... my guess would be Tin is still a good for the electric shock treatment :barefoot: And I recone I can shock more with tin, as the foil comes in pounds Cheaper at the supermarket than copper from the garden center:).......Its as cheap as Chips:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beverly it's the first I've heard about using foil to deter slugs!!!! Going to give it a go, thanks :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Cheaper at the supermarket than copper from the garden center:)......
Wow, you buy copper from a garden center? That does sound expensive. I purchase one meter long copper pieces (for water, for gas is more expensive) (diam 1/2 inch (1.27cm) at a reasonable price in the plumbing section of the hardware store, and connectors and elbows for pennies (well pesos). Initially i purchased a small hand tool for easily cutting the pipe, Now i can make any shape/size (except circles :) that i need and change the configurations as the garden changes. I use the same copper over and over again. I find a lot of useful things for the garden in the hardware store plumbing section.

I wondered what slugs had against copper. Is there something in the physiology that creates shock? I have seen slug slime on a copper tube, but i have also seen a dead slug a short distance away. Would copper have the same effect on caterpillars do you think:eek:?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

I think it is either something about the tin foil, or it is the crinkled surface. :confused:

Last summer, I learned that slugs love dry cat food. They pass all the plants in the flower bed, crawl up the porch - and then across it, ( at least 5 feet,) - in order to scale the food bowl, and gorge themselves on cat food.:mad:

With a lot of cats, I use a fairly big bowl, and from what I can tell, Beverly, your rings aren't much higher than the bowl. If it works 100% of the time, it must be something about the tin or the crinkles that repels them. (I think I will wrap the cats' food bowl in crinkled tin foil. (y) )

Oh!! :mad: And slugs can tell time, believe it or not. :cautious: The cats get their last meal when I get home from work, about 10 pm. If I was an hour late taking the cats their dinner, there would be anywhere from 5-10 slugs waiting around the bowl when I opened the door!!

:eek: I will not live on their schedule!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I'm not sure now @MaryMary a strip might work if the lethal factors are shock and toxicity

@Dinu definitely looking good for April. Flowers and photos of flowers are smashing(y)

Ask a Question