What's looking good in April 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is so nice to log in to such a lovely display of flowers:) When people identify the flowers (if they can) it is doubly appreciated. What a blue, blue sky @granjera:love:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I finally have some blooms in the native garden!

Common Blue Violet. This has been in my yard longer than I've lived here. Violets are known for that. They spread. I personally wouldn't want a lawn without them. Last year, I added some to the native garden, and this year, I added even more. It's a food source for Spangled Fritillary caterpillars, so I'm hoping in a year or two, I'll see an increase in them visiting my garden.
IMG_1764 copy.jpg

Wild Strawberry. I added this as a ground cover to fill in any gaps. As expected, it's taking over quite nicely. Early-blooming plants are important, because there isn't a lot of them out there when native insects become active. Having some strawberries to eat is also a nice bonus.
IMG_1767 copy.jpg

Wild Ginger is just starting to open. It's a weird little flower that typically stays hidden under the foliage. I'm using Wild Ginger as a ground cover under my spruce tree. It's slowly spreading. Maybe it'll take off a little more next year. I would highly recommend it in place of hostas.
IMG_1768 copy.jpg

In my bog filter for my pond, I have Marsh Marigold blooming. Six flowers today. It's a great plant for wetlands. Looks really great in my bog.
IMG_1771 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Eight more lilies burst up following more rains. I showed the 4 lilies that came up early.
Bottom left photo is a back-lit photo taken from below the flower. The first set is making fruit already [bottom corner right]. Little bees are having a 'ball'!!
4April-2017.jpg
head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are some miscellaneous garden pics, but if you notice I don't grow much in the way of traditional crops, but I do have and harvest some tomatoes, since I like them, but I allow the broccoli to flower and go to seed to feed the bees and birds.

Also a lot of my plants were given to me by neighbors, for some reason people like giving me plants and I can't say no, even though I really don't want them:D

Like these, Firestick and Yucca plants, they were given to me in a container and I planted them in the ground, now they are much bigger and healthier looking:

And I don't remember where I got this Hibiscus from, but it was also in a container

And these are my sunflowers, the tallest in at least 11ft, I plan to grow some more in another area using the seeds from that very large one

Here's some tomatoes, which I almost stepped on...I lose a lot of "produce" in my garden, but probably why I get so many volunteers:

Here's my zucchini/squash (I don't know the difference, but I actually developed a taste for them, so I've started planting more, one of the few things I grow to eat

Just a few more miscellaneous shots, if you notice my broccoli is still blooming, which is kind of incredible, since I don't do anything for them, I don't even waste water them and we are currently in a drought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
@roadrunner Beautiful greens and colours!! 11-ft. tall sunflower!! Very tall! Have you staked it? Banana too, nice. Mirabilis plants... there must be hundreds of volunteer plants! They seed so profusely.

@Beverly ... thanks... happy bees indeed. They are in the peak of colour, brightest. From tomorrow, they will show signs of fading.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@zigs do you know the name of the plant tumbling over that beautiful wall in the first photo? Maybe clematis gone wild? It is a stunner. Really nice photo too.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs do you know the name of the plant tumbling over that beautiful wall in the first photo? Maybe clematis gone wild? It is a stunner. Really nice photo too.:)
Clematis Montana Rubans maybe?.........So many great pictures this month its a feast:) I spotted a sheep o_O
P1030835.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Daren Clematis is close enough, i will have to admire it from afar...they don't do well in my location, but i can grow Neem, Cassia fistula, Ixora coccinea, so that gives me some consolation.

Say, do i see dandelions growing amongst the blue bells? In the fall you can harvest the roots, roast them, and make a yummy coffee substitute, and of course there is dandelion wine, and a nifty salad green (i don't think i can grow dandelions here either).

Is that sheep wearing a tie? What kind of sheep wears a tie? Oh i know a Darin' Sheep:D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
@Daren Clematis is close enough, i will have to admire it from afar...they don't do well in my location, but i can grow Neem, Cassia fistula, Ixora coccinea, so that gives me some consolation.

Say, do i see dandelions growing amongst the blue bells? In the fall you can harvest the roots, roast them, and make a yummy coffee substitute, and of course there is dandelion wine, and a nifty salad green (i don't think i can grow dandelions here either).

Is that sheep wearing a tie? What kind of sheep wears a tie? Oh i know a Darin' Sheep:D.
Glade you like the sheep:) only cool sheep where ties lol:cool:......well spotted dandelion(y) I did once roast dandelions roots and found it quite nice ...well done like a crisp :) & often pinch a few leaves as greens with lunch but its just a weed here in England to most people. Sorry to here Clematis is a no ..no for you:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Daren's probably right, i'm just veg and wildflowers department :D

54 years and i've never really noticed it before, but I keep seeing it everywhere at the moment, i'll stop and get some more pics :)

Ask a Question