What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now doctors prescribe ALLOTMENTS to help with loneliness or muscle and joint pain
  • The May Lane Surgery, in Dursley, Gloucester, is offering gardening to patients
  • Doctors believe it's particularly good for social isolation or muscle and joint pain
  • Comes after Health Secretary Matt Hancock championed physical activity care
What a good idea!

And who says Romance is dead?

Great-great-grandfather, 97, surprises his wife, 99, with a large bouquet of roses to express his love for her after 82 years of marriage
  • Mr and Mrs Wang got married in 1937 in China and have loved each other since
  • Their granddaughter bought flowers on Valentine's Day on her way to see them
  • Mr Wang immediately took over the roses and gave them to his beloved wife
  • Seeing this, the granddaughter arranged a simple 'wedding ceremony' for them

Awwwwwwwww!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, crumbs

Russia claims to have successfully tested a NUCLEAR-POWERED cruise missile that can fly forever, has an unlimited range and is impossible to shoot down
  • The Burevestnik is a nuclear-powered missile which can evade detection
  • It is claimed the missile possesses an 'unlimited range' and is extremely agile
  • Russia has said it can fly up to ten-times further than any other cruise missile
Hope it is a CLAIM!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The Japanese knotweed map of Britain: Scourge of invading plant blighting UK is revealed in heatmap showing areas worst hit by infestations
  • Online heatmap, created by Environet, pinpoints thousands of infestation of the invasive Japanese knotweed
  • Hotspots are marked from yellow through to red depending of the severity of the pesky plant's infestation
  • Epicentres have been located across outer London, Merseyside, Lancashire and Bristol through the heatmap
Boy, 14, hatches a DUCKLING from a Waitrose egg 28 days after buying six for £2.30 and leaving them inside an incubator bought on eBay
  • William Atkins, 14, put supermarket eggs under a £40 incubator bought on eBay
  • The teenager, from Sutton Coldfield, was rewarded with the birth of a duckling
  • He noticed a beating heart and just days later a tiny chick pecked its way out
  • The duckling will go to live at a nearby farm when it grows a little bigger

Awwww!

Rare 14th century gold coin worth up to £3,000 is found hidden inside a wooden bureau valued at £60 gifted to a family support worker by a long-lost cousin
  • Anne Clapp, 37, from Derbyshire had no idea of the coin's existence
  • The 650-year-old 22ct gold piece was discovered in a hidden compartment
  • Mrs Clapp is donating proceeds to the Bardet-Biedl Syndrome UK charity

Another lovely story!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
6 ways to eat yourself healthier

I think they must have forgotten celery - very good for arthritic pains and aches. I have noticed marked improvements in my knees after having one celery stem, carrots and more green. Hope someone finds this useful!

My energy firm won't offer me cheaper tariff unless I have a smart meter installed - is it allowed to do this?

Apparently, this has now been sorted of legitimised now, just like paperless billing. I wonder if anybody noticed DD is a con. I know for certain that in summer, I spent less than £10 a month and yet, they used estimates and I was not switched on (never am) enough to follow the track of the estimate. In the end, I phoned up and asked the DD to be deleted (well, I can do it myself), and was told that there would be an increase in the tariffs. In the end, the stink was too overwhelming and I asked for an analysis of the bill. They did one for the summer which showed that I had a credit of £18. So I cancelled it myself.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Queen lodges appeal against ‘punitive’ business rates increase at her Balmoral estate after SNP’s land reforms landed her with a £16,800 bill
  • The Queen is appealing the rateable value of sporting land she owns at Balmoral
  • She was hit with bill of £16,800 as part of decision to overhaul Land Reform Act
  • Since 1994, land used for shooting and dear-stalking were ineligible for rates
  • However under the current Scottish government, that has been abolished
Welcome to the real world, Ma'am, where businesses fold because of the sudden surge of rates and people hand their country piles to the National Trust because of inheritance tax!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Foolish drug user calls POLICE to complain that her dealer had sold her sugar instead of cocaine
  • The drug user called police in Craigavon, Northern Ireland, to report the scam
  • She said that she paid £200 for cocaine only to later find out it was sugar
  • Police in Craigavon posted the strange conversation on their Facebook page

While Sandra Adamson commented: 'Thought it was a sweet deal.... '

£200! Whoa!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here in the US, the Green New Deal is causing problems for some...it's going to be fun watching other politicians "supporting it". But you can't say Sen Dianne Feinstein was supporting it; I was actually surprised at her dismissive response :giggle:

Video on the link shows the smugness of the Senator...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the US, the Green New Deal is causing problems for some...it's going to be fun watching other politicians "supporting it". But you can't say Sen Dianne Feinstein was supporting it; I was actually surprised at her dismissive response :giggle:

Video on the link shows the smugness of the Senator...

She looks like a dinosaur! Green might be too funky for her.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Tell Ratty! Weasels, otters and badgers enjoy an 'incredible' revival after a crackdown on hunting and toxic pesticides
  • Stoats, badgers and otters are enjoying an ‘incredible’ comeback in the wild
  • The animals were said to be on the brink of extinction less than 50 years ago
  • A new environmental study revealed the numbers of wild British carnivores

I remember my joy when I first videoed some stoats in Fountain Abbey in Yorkshire.

A weasel

I think I have seen a mink or stoat when a man walked around with it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Why Food Could Be the Best Medicine of All

... Geisinger’s program is one of a number of groundbreaking efforts that finally consider food a critical part of a patient’s medical care–and treat food as medicine that can have as much power to heal as drugs. More studies are revealing that people’s health is the sum of much more than the medications they take and the tests they get–health is affected by how much people sleep and exercise, how much stress they’re shouldering and, yes, what they are eating at every meal. Food is becoming a particular focus of doctors, hospitals, insurers and even employers who are frustrated by the slow progress of drug treatments in reducing food-related diseases like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and even cancer. They’re also encouraged by the growing body of research that supports the idea that when people eat well, they stay healthier and are more likely to control chronic diseases and perhaps even avoid them altogether. “When you prioritize food and teach people how to prepare healthy meals, lo and behold, it can end up being more impactful than medications themselves,” says Dr. Jaewon Ryu, interim president and CEO of Geisinger. “That’s a big win.”..

I subscribe to food as medicine 100%. After incorporating fresh vegs and fruits every day, my knee pains don't bother me that much unless I walked for 3 or 4 hours.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glyphosate found in Beer.

I am SAD!

There are a lot of horrible things found in foods and drinks and we keep saying that manufacturers have printed recommended daily intake amount, the situation is not going to resolve itself. Coming to money and expediency, governments should legislate and regulate. Why is it that sodium nitrate is still used in bacon? Food for thought!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Office worker, 69, who ate fish every day of his two-week Alaskan cruise becomes confused and forgetful after developing mercury poisoning
  • The unnamed man was taken to the Florida Hospital Heartland Medical Center
  • Revealed he ate high-mercury halibut, lingcod and salmon shark at most meals
  • Diagnosed with 'organic mercury toxicity due to consumption of excessive fish'

What is safe nowadays? Too much rice, arsenic poisoning and now people flush drugs down the toilet after ingestion. How human foul the world!

Pregnant women in China were warned not to consume fish because of mercury poisoning as well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I watched What's killing me? and I really like the series. One was about Amoebas which turned people's brains into mush and killing them.

Woman killed by a rare brain-eating amoeba which 'turned her brain into a bloody mush' after she used a NETI POT to treat her sinus infection

This is a terrifying incident and death happens very quickly. There are survivors but they must be treated immediately and their body temperature to stop the amoebas from multiplying.

Another is about Cyanide poisoning

Pittsburgh professor convicted for fatally poisoning wife denied appeal

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
India prepares for war: 14,000 bunkers are built along Pakistan border as the nations prepare their military and Islamabad warns its rival nuclear power ‘better sense’ is needed to avoid conflict

The UK might be subsidising this nuke development!

Meanwhile,

NO DEAL! Trump and Kim ABANDON lunch and CANCEL signing ceremony as White House concedes that 'no agreement has been reached' in Vietnam nuclear summit talks

Ask a Question