What's in the news today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I keep receiving unwanted emails about "Bitcoin" I keep adding these to spam and deleting them but they keep coming. I don't believe in get rich quick schemes however attractive they appear to be; eventually the bubble bursts ending in tears for many. I wonder how many have started with a small investment "to test the water" and having received a quick healthy profit are becoming greedy which is normal human behaviour investing larger amounts? Better safe being a tortoise than losing the lot being a hare.

Years ago a former neighbour was bragging to me that he was going to retire at the age of 55? He was investing lots of money receiving over 15% interest on the money whilst our savings as usual paid very little interest indeed; I retired aged 53 whilst this former neighbour was still working aged 73; he's recently moved downsizing his house?

The weather is poor here again today hence I'm a keyboard warrior; I've added this just for interest it definitely being in the news.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not many problems locally roadrunner with bikes. It's so hilly around here a bike rider needs to be super fit and the only bike I'd consider riding would have at least 750cc. :)

I used to walk up to the post office in the village; then down to our local shop to buy Bron a couple of girlie mags returning home along the valley bottom before climbing again up to our private estate; about three miles in total but I gave it up because it used to flatten me; a number of times as I've returned walking up the lane I would walk past an elderly guy pedalling furiously hardly getting anywhere; I presume he must have died of an heart attack? I do see bike riders and always think how dangerous it now is to ride a bike locally on our very congested roads; vehicles drivers are now expected to give a cycle the width of an airfield if being passed otherwise get a fine for passing too closely.

Kind regards, Colin.

Funny you should mention elderly guy. Son complained that he was nearly mown down by an old man on his mobility scooter! I can't believe that he is still mentioning about that as it happened years ago. Must have been a terrifying experience.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I keep receiving unwanted emails about "Bitcoin" I keep adding these to spam and deleting them but they keep coming. I don't believe in get rich quick schemes however attractive they appear to be; eventually the bubble bursts ending in tears for many. I wonder how many have started with a small investment "to test the water" and having received a quick healthy profit are becoming greedy which is normal human behaviour investing larger amounts? Better safe being a tortoise than losing the lot being a hare.

Years ago a former neighbour was bragging to me that he was going to retire at the age of 55? He was investing lots of money receiving over 15% interest on the money whilst our savings as usual paid very little interest indeed; I retired aged 53 whilst this former neighbour was still working aged 73; he's recently moved downsizing his house?

The weather is poor here again today hence I'm a keyboard warrior; I've added this just for interest it definitely being in the news.

Kind regards, Colin.

Bitcoin is tumbling. I think the only safe way to get rich is to buy premium bond every month rather than leaving them to the bank. Don't forget that with premium bond, you don't lose your capital. Go on, Colin. Try putting away £100 for 1 year every month. I am sure it will work out better than buying any shares or get rich bitcoins. You might not get anything, but you will not lose your capital. Incidentally, we lost £2.50 last week for the £112 m of Euro million. NOT A SINGLE NUMBER! The only winner is the CEO!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As a cyclist, I'm always hearing from other cyclists about how they're so envious of the cycling tracks in places such as Denmark and the Netherlands. I was never impressed, simply because of the congested bike traffic, like seen in the video below.

And now there are news stories to give me more reason not to like their cycling tracks, especially the electric bikes which can travel quite fast.

Excerpt:

A rapid rise in the number of scooters, e-bikes, mini electric cars and hoverboards in the Netherlands and the complexity of regulations on their use is making it impossible to keep the country’s cycle lanes safe, the leader of the Dutch police union has warned.

Amsterdam, The Hague, Utrecht and Rotterdam are rushing through different rules about the sort of vehicles allowed on their increasingly crowded lanes, leaving everyone confused, it is claimed.

On Tuesday Amsterdam announced that slower mopeds, known as a snorfiets, would be banned from the bike paths from April. Utrecht is introducing a similar ban at the end of the next year.

But Birò cars, four-wheeled electric vehicles with two seats side by side and a top speed of 34 mph, can still be driven on cycle lanes anywhere in the country.

How about this addition?

James Middleton, Catherine Middleton's brother, out cycling with his 4 dogs

I feel sorry for him as he has lost his privacy just because his sister is married to someone generously attributed to as royal. No such thing as we should be born equal. Imagine you go out to buy a pint of milk and get people lunging their long lens at you so that they can make a quick buck.

I have to admit that I love this buggy and the idea is so much fun. Life is full of diversities, some with built-in menaces!

Roadrunner - you're very lucky, like johnny canoe, to be living in such a big country. It's a blessing and I hope you enjoy yourself to the utmost.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fury over 'sneaky' £6,000 death tax set to hit almost 300,000 families after Ministers classed it as a 'fee' in alleged bid to avoid Parliamentary scrutiny
  • Families could face bill of £6,000 for legal control over deceased person’s estate
  • Labour’s Gloria De Piero said that the charges were a ‘tax on grieving families’
  • Ministry of Justice could rake in an extra £185m a year from charges by 2022/23
...In an alleged abuse of power, a huge hike in probate charges was effectively waved through Parliament after ministers categorised it as a ‘fee’ rather than a tax. ..

So they can't hit transnationals like Amazon, but instead hit those who work and save. I will vote Green in the next election. Going to tweet on Conservative party twitter page.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Unmasked: The man who is suing his parents for giving birth to him ‘without his consent’ is photographed without his fake beard
  • Raphael Samuel, from Mumbai, has been pictured without his huge fake beard
  • He said he's suing his parents because they gave birth to him without his consent
  • He wrote today: 'Why does society reward people who have unprotected sex?'
Sometimes, I feel sorry for bringing my son into this world - stabbings, legalised robberies like that death tax, legalised drugs, .. Things are just getting so rough and unsafe!

What do you think he should do? Kill himself? Or make the world a better place?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

-25C where you live johnny is common and no doubt you'll be used to such low temperatures and plenty of snow unlike us wimps in the UK; a dusting of snow here creates havoc; airports close; transport is disrupted and WOW can't let kids go to school in cold weather in case they accidentally slip on ice or the dusting of snow; when I was a kid over 60 years ago kids had "all terrain" legs and feet and my school never ever closed due to bad weather; we used to walk to school in wellies and the wellies made our legs sore but to school we went summer or winter. We couldn't afford bus fares in those days.

Thanks alp for your premium bond suggestion; over 40 years ago when interest was paid on savings I invested in a £340 block of premium bonds never receiving a return so I packed them in; however we have friends who regularly win on premium bonds. This morning whilst in Morrison's the checkout operator gave me a £5 note in exchange for five £1 coins; I put the note in my trouser leg pocket but have lost it; I'm sure I dropped it in Morrison's; these new notes are terrible being so slippy; my own fault so I'm not moaning but it's so easy done. I shouldn't be let out without adult supervision. :)

I'll have another look at premium bonds because as you say alp I've nothing to lose regarding the pitiful interest these days on savings.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

I shouldn't be let out without adult supervision. :)

[/QUOTE]

I suggest buying £100 each month to spread the bet. I had £1000 in son's name and we never had a penny. Complained about something else, they gave us some money so after one year or more, we got something.

Just come back from viewing. The house is next to an allotment.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp. :)

What a run around just to invest in premium bonds; I've now got a block of £200 and will increase this over five weeks to bring it to £1,000 and then wait? I decided to spread the amount rather than put it all into one block.

Next to an allotment alp; when are you moving in?;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp. :)

What a run around just to invest in premium bonds; I've now got a block of £200 and will increase this over five weeks to bring it to £1,000 and then wait? I decided to spread the amount rather than put it all into one block.

Next to an allotment alp; when are you moving in?;)
Yes, some security guard told me to do so. And that's years ago. He said not to buy one block.

No, that house is too small. Son doesn't want to live in this area and this house is in the same area and realising that his children, if any, will go to the same school opposite, I had to change my mind. Might move some plants to the allotment and pay a minimal rent. All up in the air. Offered £390K, but want £5k more as after the survey, they might want to pinch a bit more from me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Retailers still selling 'fire risk' fridges: Big firms including AO.com and Argos continue to stock plastic-backed appliances which could fuel blazes
  • Britain's biggest appliance suppliers are still selling plastic-backed fridges
  • A report into the Grenfell Tower tragedy said plastic casing could fuel blazes
  • The controversial fridges remain easily available at Britain’s largest retailers

Retailers are hell-bent on increasing profit margins .. Celotex which makes the insulation panels should be brought to shame, too. Like companies putting nitrate into bacons, for these companies, money is the only thing they can see.

Horror as man in his 30s dies after his 'throat was slit with a huge knife when he refused to give man a cigarette' in upmarket suburb on another night of London bloodshed
  • Man, thought to be in his 30s, was died on Lordship Lane in East Dulwich today
  • No arrests have been made and police are appealing to public for information
  • Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will take place soon

Carrying knives should be banned.

MPs say Transport Secretary Chris Grayling 'has to go' after humiliatingly axing Brexit ferry contract with firm that had no ships
  • Transport Secretary Chris Grayling is facing renewed calls from MPs to resign
  • Brexit contract with firm to provide ferries if there is no deal has been cancelled
  • The £13.8m deal with Seaborne was criticised as firm did not have its own ships
Ah, you can't make it up!

Just how these inepts end up in running the government. The nuts have taken control of the asylum!

Libby Squire mystery continues as Polish butcher, 24, who was arrested over her abduction is charged – but with voyeurism and indecency offences NOT linked to the student's disappearance

Just why do girls get so drunk and not accompanied out or in at night?

Imagine her mother's tears ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Trilobites: A Rare Bird Indeed: A Cardinal That’s Half Male, Half Female

Intriguing!

Chimpanzees escape from Belfast Zoo enclosure using tree branch ladder

Talking about zoo without borders! The same zoo lost their red panda a while ago. Hope they keep their wild cats well locked up. It's no laughing matter!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bomb de terre! WWI hand grenade is shipped from France to Hong Kong in a consignment of potatoes
  • Device was safely detonated after it was discovered at Calbee snacks factory
  • Video showed bomb disposal officers packing grenade in a drainage channel
  • Last year the bomb disposal squad defused three large WWII bombs
View attachment 49408
Hilarious! Can't tell the difference, really!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/police-called-lepton-home-after-15710897

There are still plenty of bombs around alp; Bron and I were returning home and came across yet another detour this being only a mile from home; the reason can be seen at the above link ; it turned out to be a WW2 incendiary and was safely disposed of.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/police-called-lepton-home-after-15710897

There are still plenty of bombs around alp; Bron and I were returning home and came across yet another detour this being only a mile from home; the reason can be seen at the above link ; it turned out to be a WW2 incendiary and was safely disposed of.

Kind regards, Colin.

Here, we had police raids, one up the road near where Steve Davis, the Snooker ex champ lived. He had a big farm and across the road, is a park home site. It was raided and firearms and drugs found. Another one, two roads down. Some people got arrested! Talking about dramas. This country is now full of it. So sad and those in government are I-know-best plotters and do their best to tear the country apart and make the UK a laughing stock in the whole world. It's like with friends like these, who needs enemies.

Waiting for another viewing. Very bored with viewing!

Ask a Question