What's in the news today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Indeed alp who needs enemies. One family lives on our street the grand parents next door to us and their grandson and family just across the street; the family unfortunately are typical of the way things are now heading here in the UK. Beatings; burglary; car theft and a drugs bust but they think they've done nothing wrong; a couple of years ago we called in the police being sick of harassment and upon police suggestion we've installed CCTV; now they leave us alone at last. We refuse to move home because of such low life so we stood up to them. We dislike this family with a passion but in case of emergency both Bron and I would help them; bearing grudges or malice isn't our way of life but we'll never be friends with them.

We've been watching motorway cops on YouTube and it's interesting to compare our UK cops with American cops; below is a video showing American cops dealing with low life; we were surprised the cops didn't offer the low life more fuel for their car after all they left the road ahead completely open just waiting to have another high speed chase putting so many lives at risk. Here in the UK the car would definitely have been blocked in preventing it being driven off. We also suffer gun crime and we watched our own cops deal with a similar situation; three cop cars boxed in car full of criminals who had just raided a store at gunpoint; the car was quickly brought to a halt and immediately the criminals were dragged out by police officers wearing bullet proof kit. Just a difference in police style but our police stop these criminals very quickly before they kill someone through reckless driving.

Kind regards, Colin.

I've just seen this; so what's new; if it's not beating or shooting it's stabbing and it's out of control but never mind the government don't care whilst reducing funds to our wonderful police force.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news...ates-following-incident-huddersfield-15810989

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
'Anyone else's kids developing a British accent?' American parents reveal their young children are changing the way they SPEAK after watching episodes of the U.K. cartoon series Peppa Pig
  • Parents in the U.S. are claiming Peppa Pig has caused their children to develop British accents
  • Peppa Pig, an animated TV show based in the U.K., follows the life of a pig and her family as they go about their day-to-day lives
  • Now parents are tweeting about the show, which first aired in 2004, saying that it has caused their kids to develop different accents and vocabulary
  • One parent wrote: 'I'd like to thank Peppa Pig for the slight yet adorable British accent my toddler is acquiring'
  • Another parent dubbed the idea of kids adopting the accent as the 'Peppa effect'

I must say I have found some American English easier to understand as the vowels are more pronounced. But I just love English English, so soft and gentle. I now have found that I have to resort to subtitles to understand tv drama, especially some with Cornish accent (supposedly) Wales or Scottish or even Irish accent. Don't really like Eastender English and I can never sit through one episode - the accent is doing my head in, so to speak!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Brazil invaded by venomous yellow SCORPIONS as climate change pushes them into major cities
  • São Paulo is a dense city, with scarce green space and little to no animal life
  • Statewide however, scorpion stings have increased threefold over two decades
  • Brazil’s cities provide excellent habitat, shelter plus plenty of water and food
  • As weather gets hotter due to climate change, scorpions are spreading in Brazil
Frightening!

World's insects could be wiped out 'within a century' as scientists warn they are dying out eight times faster than mammals
  • Insects are dying out eight-times faster than mammals, birds and reptiles
  • Study suggests that insects could become extinct in 100 years at this rate
  • The decline, described as a worldwide crisis, is blamed on intensive agriculture
  • Scientist say we have entered the first mass extinction since the dinosaurs
This could be serious as it can cause a dent in the food chain!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The world is desperate for young people. Not in SE Asia or Asia, but in western Europe, it is a sign that people prefer one or two kids or none.

Mothers with four children will be exempt from income tax for life and receive £7,000 towards a seven-seater car in Hungary after country vows to boost its birth rate
  • Viktor Orban announced measures during state of the nation address yesterday
  • New financial aid was put in place to encourage women to have more children
  • Benefits include a lifetime personal income-tax exemption for mothers of four
With the world as it is, it is a hard one to call. I love children, but some are taking the biscuits and I blame the adults who blotch the canvas!

Here, some parents use their children for very dodgy reasons. Some, of course, not all. Those who are responsible don't want to breed. Can't blame them!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Ultra-rare black leopard is photographed for the first time in 100 YEARS in Africa
  • The almost mythical creature was captured by British wildlife photographer Will Burrard-Lucas in Kenya
  • Its sooty coat is the result of melanism, the opposite of albinism, and results in an excess of dark pigmentation
  • The black leopard was confirmed as a juvenile female, travelling with a larger normally coloured companion
Hope it's not bullied! Amazing! Fabulous!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Children as young as THREE are being treated in hospital after taking Spice as Britain’s synthetic drug crisis deepens
  • Since 2015, 363 people have been hospitalised in Lincolnshire after taking Spice
  • Spice users often appear unconscious or incoherent for prolonged periods
  • Admissions include a boy, 3, and a girl, aged 3, to Boston Pilgrim Hospital
  • Experts say spice epidemic spread from North West to England and into Wales
  • As young as 3!

JOANNA BLYTHMAN: Now will Britain wake up to the stark truth - even 'healthy' processed food is killing us?

One reader's comment is spot on

The world and his wife know that processed foods are behind the causes of cancer....we have known it for decades....we don't need a load of over-blown academics finally admitting it's true....what we need is for Government ministers to be re-educated so they have some intelligence and start attacking the manufacturers that swamp their products with sugar, salt and colourings etc. All additions are unecessary and doing us harm. We know it, have always known it...yet still it goes on.

Just saying that there are recommended daily intake amounts will not help the situation. Legislations and laws and education will help raise public awareness much better that advice.

Of course, the UK world and its wives are fighting over Brexit and the lawlessness in the government circle is copied by the joe public ..

High time these ministers did something effective instead of gifting a contract to a ferry company with no boats!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
New way of making a living - getting branded merchandise and money for the travail/party/ ..

Kylie Jenner tells Stormi 'you're so lucky' as they open toddler's birthday gifts... with a Chanel purse and Gucci giftbags among the enormous haul
  • Toddler was seen admiring the enormous pile of presents, presumably gifted during Saturday's blow-out celebration
  • Among the pile a Gucci giftbag could be seen, while Stormi already opened a Chanel purse at her bash
  • But one-year-old seemed more interested in her new skill - walking - than opening the loot

Endorsement - Gifted by branded companies and for which parent(s), monageress gets money. In this day and age, it's very difficult to tell what is genuine or prop!

Some impressionables will resort to stealing in these shops ... Sad for the kids as they are already trapped in the materialism bubble!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Children as young as THREE are being treated in hospital after taking Spice as Britain’s synthetic drug crisis deepens
  • Since 2015, 363 people have been hospitalised in Lincolnshire after taking Spice
  • Spice users often appear unconscious or incoherent for prolonged periods
  • Admissions include a boy, 3, and a girl, aged 3, to Boston Pilgrim Hospital
  • Experts say spice epidemic spread from North West to England and into Wales
    View attachment 49767
  • As young as 3!

JOANNA BLYTHMAN: Now will Britain wake up to the stark truth - even 'healthy' processed food is killing us?

One reader's comment is spot on

The world and his wife know that processed foods are behind the causes of cancer....we have known it for decades....we don't need a load of over-blown academics finally admitting it's true....what we need is for Government ministers to be re-educated so they have some intelligence and start attacking the manufacturers that swamp their products with sugar, salt and colourings etc. All additions are unecessary and doing us harm. We know it, have always known it...yet still it goes on.

Just saying that there are recommended daily intake amounts will not help the situation. Legislations and laws and education will help raise public awareness much better that advice.

Of course, the UK world and its wives are fighting over Brexit and the lawlessness in the government circle is copied by the joe public ..

High time these ministers did something effective instead of gifting a contract to a ferry company with no boats!

How times have changed alp. Back in the dark ages when I was a kid spice to us were "Yorkshire Mixtures"

https://www.dobsons.co.uk/

We were poverty stricken and I mean real poverty not todays £26,000 per year poverty. Adjoining our cottage were lots of allotments and whilst we played out many time an elderly gentleman called Mr Fisher would lean over the wall with a bag of Yorkshire Mixture allowing us to take one each; I'll never forget the kindness of Mr Fisher because to us it was a very rare treat indeed; Mr Fisher had one of the allotments.

My late father used to have arguments with the local toffee nosed Lord who owned land one of our windows overlooked; this Lord kept demanding payment from my parents for the privilege of looking onto his land; to this day I'm still not surprised just how mean some people are. My late father working down a coal mine; my late mother at home trying her best to bring up four of us kids; we were in real poverty and here was a Lord wanting more money.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Your dad should have asked him to plant some hedges. That's how the rich get richer!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Love it, love it. Hope it's not an illness. Such a vibrant flier!

And I love this

Photographer captures rare natural phenomenon as freezing temperatures and tiny flakes of ice create illusion of light pillars reaching into the night sky above Canada

Isn't it fantastic?! So ethereal!

Nat Geo is a lovely channel, but I can't afford to watch it!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Awake in bed yesterday at around 5am listening to the "dawn chorus" I had time to reflect on what a wonderful life Bron and I have. It's the first time this year I've heard the birds singing and how pleasant it was just listening to them. At night we hear strange sounds around us as animals communicate.

Looking at the pictures above the only thing missing here in Yorkshire is the warm sunshine; other than this I love Yorkshire with its hills and valleys and spectacular landscapes; from our front room we look across and along the valley with lush fields and trees; 100 yards at our street end we have a public footpath affording a delightful but very steep walk to the valley bottom.

England on the whole is delightful only let down by its population with increasing crime and violence. Mostly it's a safe country where firearms and knives are banned; we don't have animals that attack or eat us; only two snakes are poisonous; spiders and other bugs aren't a threat; we have clean fresh water at the turn of a tap; poverty is often talked about but this isn't the real poverty suffered 50 years ago; we have a National Health service the envy of the world it being free including after care; we also have an over generous benefits system; we have it made here in England if only we would realize it and work together to create harmony. :)

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Awake in bed yesterday at around 5am listening to the "dawn chorus" I had time to reflect on what a wonderful life Bron and I have. It's the first time this year I've heard the birds singing and how pleasant it was just listening to them. At night we hear strange sounds around us as animals communicate.

Looking at the pictures above the only thing missing here in Yorkshire is the warm sunshine; other than this I love Yorkshire with its hills and valleys and spectacular landscapes; from our front room we look across and along the valley with lush fields and trees; 100 yards at our street end we have a public footpath affording a delightful but very steep walk to the valley bottom.

England on the whole is delightful only let down by its population with increasing crime and violence. Mostly it's a safe country where firearms and knives are banned; we don't have animals that attack or eat us; only two snakes are poisonous; spiders and other bugs aren't a threat; we have clean fresh water at the turn of a tap; poverty is often talked about but this isn't the real poverty suffered 50 years ago; we have a National Health service the envy of the world it being free including after care; we also have an over generous benefits system; we have it made here in England if only we would realize it and work together to create harmony. :)

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

Yes, FABULOUS DAYS! Oh, Colin, can you see your flower on my 5 thread please. I have noticed daffs on my lawn.

What a beautiful day.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is such a lovely story

The interracial love story that stunned Washington — twice! — in 1867

Ask a Question