What was your very first plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The first one that I really remember having was a rose that my husband bought for me years ago, soon after we're were first married. He had bought me flowers before, and I explained to him that I really liked to have a plant instead, because then it would be around a long time, and not just wilt and die like a bouquet does.
So, the next Mothers Day, he brought me a beautiful red rosé. We planted it, and since we moved often back in those days, that rose was transplanted many times, as we went from one town to another following his jobs.
Every time we watched it blooming, or even just dug it up to take along on another move, it was a reminder of the beautiful gift, and was my favorite plant for many years.

Reaction score
My first plant was a philodendron that grew all over my desk. After about 3 years the plant out-grew my desk and I had to take it home. That philodendron was started from a cutting from an ex-co-worker, it lived for about 5 years until I moved to a place that didn't get enough sun. Watching that plant grow so beautifully for 5 years, marked the beginning of my affinity for plants. Today, I have one plant that is over 20 years old, a few that are at least 10 years old, and several that are between 4 and 7 years of age. I don't even buy plants anymore because I have the offspring of a few plants, all over the house. There are many stalk-like plants that actually will root in water; the Madagascar is one that will root in water, you may know it as the Dracaena Marginata. My 20+ year-old plant is a Marginata and when it gets close to the ceiling (and it's a high ceiling in my bedroom), I break a piece off, place it in water, in about 4-5 weeks, it's ready to be potted.

The image shows 3 plants as you head into my office, the plant in the middle of the orchid and the daises (fresh cut from outside), I've made 4 plants from that one .. It's in the Spineless Yucca family, I'm not exactly sure what the name of the plant is, if someone knows, please share.. (in the background, toward the wall, there's another Marginata, it didn't come from the one upstairs, it's about 7-8 years old, it's about 6 feet tall now. When this picture was taken it was a little over 4 feet tall. I've moved it to another spot and it thrives in the new location.

Daises.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ours was to plant a cherry blossom tree in our 2nd home as this was our 1st garden .

And 11 yrs later it was its best year to bloom and we had sold our house .

I so wish we had dug it out as the next time we walked past new owners had dug it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My very first plant is a lovely miniature rose, it was a gift from my boyfriend. I still have it and I'm very proud of it because it grows beautifully. It's a gorgeous, little rose with red flowers.
It started my love for gardening:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beetroot, when I was about 7 I think. My neighbour gave me some left over seedlings.

Reaction score
I believe it was an African violet at a school plant sale. Naturally it died, but later in life I got some more, some of which did quite well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG, who can remember that far back, lol? It was probably something simple like an ivy. I've had so many plants over the years... usually I'd have one or two for a while and then move and end up giving them away or something. Of course, sometimes plants die...

Reaction score
My first plant was a peace lily that a friend bought me for my first grown up apartment. I had it for a couple of years until I had a baby. I was so focused on my daughter that I stopped paying attention to the plant. :(
My first plant was also the first plant that I killed with neglect.

Reaction score
Ours was to plant a cherry blossom tree in our 2nd home as this was our 1st garden .

And 11 yrs later it was its best year to bloom and we had sold our house .

I so wish we had dug it out as the next time we walked past new owners had dug it out.

Why would anyone ever get rid of a cherry blossom tree?
I'm sorry to hear that the people who bought your house were insane.

Reaction score
I'm with Chanell on this one! I can't come close to remembering. My parents had a huge vegetable garden when I was little and of course all of us kids had to help out. I can't say I liked it much, but as I grew older I liked taking care of house plants, and somewhere along the way I took to created flower gardens all around our home. I can't remember which one was first, but I can remember where most of them came from. Some of them were taken from other people's gardens. I like to share mine, too.

The oldest flowering plant on our property (it's my family home from childhood) is a lovely old red rose bush that was my Dad's. It's been here so long...I don't remember him planting it. It has to be more than 35 years old. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Why would anyone ever get rid of a cherry blossom tree?

That is something I will never understand. It's one thing if a plant is damaged by infestation or disease, but some people toss plants out as if they were yesterday's garbage. I have three poinsettias that I rescued off the side of the road. I've had to learn what to do to take care of them, but they are all thriving.

Reaction score
I'm in agreement! I can't get rid of something just because it doesn't "fit" anymore or isn't growing as healthy/big as I might like. I simply find another place for it or continue to care for it where it is. Even if I can't love it back to life I keep working on it till it's obvious I can't help it any longer.

Reaction score
In the sixth grade (I think. It's been a while.) we planted peas in little one-pint milk cartons so we could learn about plants growing. I loved it!

Ask a Question