What was your very first plant?

Reaction score
And we also have a tradition in my country to plant wheat in a small pot at the end of the winter, if it grows big and strong it means it's going to be a good year for the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew a small bean in a jar :D that was my first plant for a school project

We did that too in elementary school; maybe that was my first plant, but I don't remember bringing it home. I do remember repeating the "experiment" at home with corn kernels and red beans (ha ha!). Not sure how long the plants lived...

Reaction score
Mine was a tomato plant, given to me by my dad. He used to have his own pen were he grew vegetables. I loved helping him out as a child. Great memories :)

Reaction score
Yes, my grandfather had a green thumb and he introduced me to this world, we used to take care of our garden together.

Reaction score
I had tons of corn and potatoes plants in my native country. We grew everything there. People in my native country eat what they grow so they never have to go to the supermarket. It was lovely. My backyard was filled iwth field of corns, potatoes, onions, peppers, fruits, and yam. These were some of the first vegetables that I grew with my family and I love it. I love eating out of my garden. We had tons of beans too. Wow, they were amazing. I think I would have full garden again soon. I want to eat from my garden, something that I've grown for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
My first plant was a sunflower which I grew from a seed. It was a project in grade school and all the students had to grow from a seed. I remember we had a few choices but that was so far back, I can't recall what my other choices were. My sunflower did okay but didn't thrive like I wished it would have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew a small bean in a jar :D that was my first plant for a school project

The more I think about it, I believe my first experience with growing something myself was one of those same school science projects. Afterward I tried sprouting beans and corn on my own, but I was way too young and didn't know how to properly care for the plants to keep them alive. Glad that changed, lol.

Reaction score
Mine was a purtple heart one my dad brought, it was just a cutting he asked me to plant it... and then it started to grow quickly :) It was such a cute plant, until it started growing wildly. I still have it... well, not the exact same plant, but you know what I mean! I also had the stripped variety, as well as the green one! Now I have the furry variety... no luck finding the plain green one with white flowers :( I might take a look while in the Netherlands! I've only seen the one with the blue flowers... not the same one!

Reaction score
My very first plant was a seed I had to grow for school. I didn't know what plant it was but I was excited about it and couldn't wait to see what it would grow into. The only problem was someone stole it when it had just started growing. I was very upset and we never found my plant.:(

Reaction score
My first plant was a begonia that I rescued out of one of my dad's flower beds just before a freeze. I didn't know that it was an annual and that it was supposed to die, I just knew that it was pretty and I wanted to save it. Most of my first plants were rescues, I bought a number of houseplants - very bedraggled looking - from a reduced rack at a discount store. For the most part they were nearly dead. They probably cost no more than fifty cents each so I was able to bring quite a few home to my new bedroom plant hospital. They all survived and thrived, even the begonia which made me happy. Ever since then I have been a plant person!

Reaction score
My very first plant was a cactus. I think I was 5 or 6, it was my job to help my Mom look after it. In hindsight it was probably not the best idea for a child. My second plant was a small potted rose plant that I eventually moved into the ground and still have today.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that my very first plant was a succulent. It lasted for a long time, even though I always forgot to water it. Ooops. I was very young, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My very first plant was a bean plant that I grew when I was a kid at school...does this count, it was my first plant. My first adult plant were onions I grew in a pot on the balcony of my apartment a few years ago. They did not get very big as I pulled them too soon, but I sure was proud of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Well, to me there are many. Caz' the first time I wanted to get a plant - I bought 7 rose plants , 1 Nolfork island one, 4 blooms and 1 other. And they all are still with me. Except for 2 blooms!

Ask a Question