What was your very first plant?

Reaction score
My mother helped me grow an avocado plant from a pit, with the toothpicks over a jar of water method.

Honestly I can't remember what ultimately happened to the plant, but I remember it getting pretty big with multiple leaves (I think we potted it?) and I was fascinated by growing things from then on. Seemed like magic to turn a brown stone into a living plant :)

Reaction score
The first plant I ever tended to was a Poinsettia that my fiance (now wife) got for a Christmas present from work. She kept trying to kill it by negligence, so I adopted it as my own.

Reaction score
Mine were Marigolds. My mother taught me that after the Marigold flower dies, you can pull the inside out and replant for next year. I always thought this was so neat. So every summer after they died, I would take my little Ziploc bag and go collect my seeds for next year. I'd sprinkle the seeds all over the yard so we had Marigolds all over. I'm sure my mom and dad loved them growing everywhere! :)

Reaction score
My very first plant was a bunch of dill that I bought from the super market. I transplanted it and watched it closely because I have heard they will easily shrivel and die.

Reaction score
My very first plant was a marigold. :) I swear I can remember it like it was yesterday. I guess it sticks in my mind because all 4 of my kids had the same plant when they were in elementary school. They would plant the seed and watch it grow and then bring it home. So much fun! I assume most schools plants those because they are easy to grow.

Memories. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Mine was a sweet corn! My cousin bought some seeds in school, and we planted it in an old milk can. A corn grew, and we cooked it. It was very sweet! :D

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My very first plant was a cactus. A close of friend of mine during highschool loves cactuses, she said they grow flowers too if taken care well of and that it doesn't require much attention because you don't need to water it every and will be fine even if you place it inside your house and even your room. So I gave it a try, she is indeed correct. That was more or less 10 years ago and I still have cactuses around the house until today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I see I am not the only one Amalia that grew a bean plant. I was so amazed at the age of 7 or 8 at how quickly this thing took off. I think it was a science project or something....lol! This nonetheless
got me interested in plants and gardening and all it took was my mother to start a garden on the side yard in my childhood home and I was hooked! Now my children show a lot of interest and bring
home things that I have no idea what they are. It has been fun hearing everyone's stories.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Not my own plants but I became involved in growing plants at the age of thirteen at school. My school had a huge greenhouse and some of the pupils were selected to grow and maintain the plants. We grew annual flowers and they were sold to staff and parents to boost the school funds. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
It's been so long ago, but I think my first plant was a peace lily that my parents gave me. I loved the smell of those flowers. From there my love of growing things just grew!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Mine were mint and single yellow kalenchoe. I was 7-8 years old back then.

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When I was smaller we had lavender; but my first real plant is the one I still have now, my sweetpea plant. Still doing really well!

Ask a Question