What was important to you when you designed your garden area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
You know those gardens...even in a magazine...that make you sigh and covet? That's what I wanted. What do I have? Umm, not that. Apparently, it's all in my mind. I would surmise that the point is enjoyment...therefore, I enjoy my dream as I pull weeds and move stuff around. My knot garden out front (where the dreaded wasp lives)...is the closest thing I have to my dream. Except for one edge. Not sure what I did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
depends on how long you plan to stay on your garden area. but age creeps up fast. thus, easy care plantings is a must also. and low fussing with things.
Ain't it the truth. When I first built my garden 20+ years ago it was just shy of 1/4 acre. Starting about 5 years ago it began to shrink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden evolved. But I did have a long term plan. I think it's best to tackle things in stages starting with the area nearest the house where the sight of it from a window will encourage you to do the next bit. I also progressively changed things to reduce the amount of necessary maintenance, as if that is possible with a garden.
We've a small semi and had three kids at home. When we bought this house in 1972, the 90ft garden was divided in half, a poorly kept lawn, then a small vegetable patch with an old cedar greenhouse.
There was little point trying to do too much to the garden when it was used mostly for the kids to play. So I got rid of the veg patch and the greenhouse and grassed the lot.
It had a small paved patio.

I did build a shed in 1975 to house our seven year old daughters expanding menagerie of rabbits and guinea pigs. We've still got it, (the shed not the menagerie) it houses my garden tools now.

P1000690.JPG

In 2006 we had a lounge extension, so I ripped up the patio and rebuilt it in crazy terrazzo . I also built a brick quadrant to house a pre-formed pond.

1st pond_zpswfdkdis8.jpeg

The lawn was still being used for badminton so it didn't get a lot of attention.

In 1985 with just our daughter now only at home on holidays from nursing school, I built a bigger pond, 12' X 9' X 1.5' a rockery and landscaped the rest of the garden, ripped up all the terrazzo (I'd laid it on a concrete raft) and paved every where with crazy York stone.

2nd_pond_2.jpg

Believe it or not a year later, I dug it out to 5ft to form a koi pool, bottom drain to a pump sump and built a dedicated room in the garage for the filters and quarantine tank.

I also built the pergola between the pool and the garage

009.jpg

I also made two concrete Japanese lanterns and this six ft concrete pagoda.

P1000537.JPG

I also put a second pergola across the back of the house.

P1000593.JPG

The tea-house followed in 1987. (this a recent photo) It houses my two vinyl jukeboxes, which my wife "won't have in the house." Like all my constructions it was done in two weeks of my annual six weeks of holiday entitlement, when I was working "and had more time."

P1060523.JPG

Our garden has continued to evolve, lots of azaleas and rhododendrons, no bedding plants or hanging baskets. Only perennials. I've added brick edging to all the borders, a leaky hose system for all the borders and two pop up sprinklers for the small lawn.

We constantly ring the changes with plants.

This is "up to date," photo.

P1060581.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we have 3 acres of gardens. the front of the property has a huge circle of flowering shrubs, then there is mid-way another circle of flowering shrubs with collections of hostas and some ground cover. the front foundation more other hostas and shrubs. now the one side, again shrubs and hosta. then the back foundation hydrangeas and calicarpia. then the more structured perennials and various heights of flowering hydrangeas, and bulbs. then the back two that flank the path to the valley garden, with slops of wigelias and blue berry bushes and sedums, (still working on) and then more plantings in the valley around the gazebo. (the gazebo is 98 paces from the back of the house) so not counting the 100,000 bulbs that come up each spring, to summer. that is a quick inventory of it all. and magnolia trees, regular trees, etc.

Ask a Question