What was important to you when you designed your garden area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I started with this...
photo2.JPG
old yard 5.JPG
old yard 4.JPG

old yard 2.JPG

I'm now here so it has evolved through wanting a yard and a pretty hole in the ground. Still a work in progress

night.jpg
pond april 2015.jpg
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG
I'm working on replacing the wooden border with stone. It worked for a year but isn't a long term solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wowee, talk about a transformation! You must be so pleased with the results (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am. It's nice to take some time a reflect on all that has been done, especially when I begin to get overwhelmed with all that's left to do. Thank you Becky. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Its a constant work in progress. This year some of the grass is being replaced with larger mulch covered areas. Both in places that were hard to mow and where only weeds like to grow. The veggie garden is growing yet again, a larger portable greenhouse went up a few months ago. Most importantly we are going to add trellises to up the privacy factor and block the sound and view of the neighbors on one side.

The other aspect coming in this year is alot more color in the accessories, Starting tomorrow I'm off work for 10 days so hoping the weather cooperates and I will have some before and after pics to share with everyone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When I designed my garden, I had birds in mind. Everything centred round them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Its a constant work in progress. This year some of the grass is being replaced with larger mulch covered areas. Both in places that were hard to mow and where only weeds like to grow. The veggie garden is growing yet again, a larger portable greenhouse went up a few months ago. Most importantly we are going to add trellises to up the privacy factor and block the sound and view of the neighbors on one side.

The other aspect coming in this year is alot more color in the accessories, Starting tomorrow I'm off work for 10 days so hoping the weather cooperates and I will have some before and after pics to share with everyone.

How did you go with your "10 days of gardening holiday", Bandit26? Hope the weather cooperated and you achieved what you had hoped. Your large greenhouse sounds great and obviously you put it to good use with your veggies. (y)Hope to see your before and after pics but, as I have said before, "after" doesn't really apply to a garden I don't think. It's before and so far. I don't think you ever stop wanting to add, change, move, minimise, maximise and so on!!!!;)

Reaction score
Country
India
There should be a proper space when you designed your garden area and we should also grow beautiful plants in different kind of planters and pots.Well you can easily pick a variety of affordable planters and pots online at Yuccabeitalia

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya MaryMary :)
Good thread(y)
Looking back it was needs must for me...about removing an old chicken house and run and then trying to make it look good. My (self) remit was scent so honeysuckle and jasmine went on the walls. Seeing them grow was how I caught the gardening bug.
Then it was fruit and veg. Eating my own produce. Nothing really about any real "design"
The ornamental side came later and now it is addictive, enjoyable and fun :)
I have (ruthlessly) "redesigned" my own garden a few times now but always an edible part, a gh part, a pond part, an archway, a lawn (or two) to relax on and set everything off and the most beautiful plants I can get figure in my thinking
I never really valued gardening as a youngster so it was not important to me. Now, with hindsight, I would swap the academic stuff for a hands on career in horticulture and design.
:)
Of course! The nicest people are gardeners, arent they folks?(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
And generous Verdun.:). We love to share:love:........cuttings, enthusiasm, support, knowledge.
I trained as an art teacher and what impressded me about my friends garden was that everywhere you looked you were surrounded by single stunning self contained images. And i think that is what I strive for and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
first & most important thing on my list was my No Fence Policy I Have a hate for fences for many reasons When I was a Boy .....Lol some time back now I Know but all the Mums And Dads Talked to one another across the gardens & everyone got on with each other & Said hello By name. Also Know one would get burgled as the burgler would be seen coming in the garden. On top of that there is the fact of getting a much bigger view for everyone in stead of a high sixfoot fence out side the door that gets blown down if the wind picks up. It also blocks out the sun from you and your garden. I think its better to wave than hide So that's what I do In my garden with know fences:) & If a small Boy Kicks a ball over into your garden & onto the plants you Know Who done it as you see him;)..... I should stress I don't mind low fences just not high ones

Ask a Question