What was important to you when you designed your garden area?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you designed your garden what was the most important part to you? The need to have a nice green space to look at or more flowering plants and bushes?

I think I want more of a garden with flowers changing all through the season to look at and cut for the house.

The green space is nice but I don't really want a lot of it. You see some yards that have a green lawn that looks like a blanket, very green and lush, not a weed in sight. I would have to throw a rock or two in there just to keep it interesting.

Reaction score
I do have some shrubs in my gardens and I plant in a way that I can incorporate them into the overall look. The endlessly green yard scape does nothing for me and I do my best to break it up with small trees or clumps of flowering shrubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It needs to function well above all else. We need space for the furniture, grill, fire pit, etc. The dog needs his space. Then with the space we have left its designed (and this year being redesigned) to get a much space and biggest yield of the berries and veggies we want to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I live with my parents, but they let me plant whatever I want in part of their garden. I didn't really plan anything, I'm a spontaneous person:p I planted all my plants very randomly, lol. Now I see that it wasn't the best idea, because it looks messy:confused:
Anyway, the most important to me was to have many roses, violets and lilies of the valley, because I find them the most beautiful:)

Reaction score
seating i guess.

the whole idea for me was an outdoor home theater deal (that i still haven't finished), so working out seating was the main thing. the garden part came later, to try and have a nice outdoor atmosphere. to that end, i look for things that can grow nice in pots where the ground is covered by decking or pavers, and being careful about the advertised heights of various plants i look at.

last fall i did the barely beginnings of a spot for a food garden, and a mound of flowers on the other side of the yard. i haven't figured out my priorities for them yet.

Reaction score
I'd want place where we can organize nice parties and have a lo fun during the summer, grilling and having a good time outdoors! So, I'd keep it simple and functional. I'd pick flowers and plants that don't require so much care, I'd also like to add some coverage, maybe get a climber like an ivy to cover the walls and other areas. I'm guessing a garden like this would take a while, but it'd be worth it. I don't want something too fancy tho, or a garden that looks like a tropical jungle either!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
having a bountiful harvest is most important to me

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer I was thinking about putting pavers in the yard to make a outdoor party room, which would give more shade than the deck provides during the day. I hope to get to that project this spring, the first thing I have to do is level off that section of the yard before the pavers can be installed.

Reaction score
When I plan a garden I take into account what is around the area of the garden and yard. I want it to be noticeable but I also want it to blend into the surrounding landscape.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
seating i guess.

the whole idea for me was an outdoor home theater deal (that i still haven't finished), so working out seating was the main thing. the garden part came later, to try and have a nice outdoor atmosphere. to that end, i look for things that can grow nice in pots where the ground is covered by decking or pavers, and being careful about the advertised heights of various plants i look at.

last fall i did the barely beginnings of a spot for a food garden, and a mound of flowers on the other side of the yard. i haven't figured out my priorities for them yet.

Your outdoor room sounds very relaxing. You do want to have a space to your grill and seating on the ground and on the deck. Right now we stay on the deck most of the time mostly because of bugs on the ground eat us up.

Your plans are great, we use the computer to look at movies on the deck at night, a little small but a nice activity with the family.

Reaction score
I haven't designed my own garden area, but when my grandfather was consulting architects for the designs of this house we're currently living in, he's also checking out designs on gardens. He's the one who planned everything, I think, and when I asked him about this before, he said what matters to him the most is as to how everything fits the eyes.

Because the house has a green roof and peach-colored walls, the garden has to at least complement these colors to produce a nice effect on the eyes. Especially that it's in the backyard, the people visiting the house or hanging out in the garden must at least have a lot of space to walk in but at the same time be able to respect the distance of the plants. They should also be able to see the garden in its entirety without too much effort, but at the same time find it relaxing and comfortable in the eyes.

Reaction score
Because the house has a green roof and peach-colored walls, the garden has to at least complement these colors to produce a nice effect on the eyes.

that i've done a little. the siding on my garage is kind of yellow, so i've always tried to go for mostly yellowish flowers when i could. truthfully it's nearly any thing i can get to bloom, but yellow is the dominant color. when i had the siding done on my house recently i tried to match it up as close as possible, so hopefully the more cooperation i get from what i grow, the more things will match up.

Reaction score
I'd really like to start by saying that I've never had a garden per we, because I've always liked to keep my plants in pots. That way it seemed easier, specially when it came to pests both in the soil and on the plant.

I plant to grow a garden once I get my own place. I want a front garden with a lot ornamentals, including trees. In the back I plan to grow edibles only, maybe a couple ornamentals growing in pots. A couple lemon trees would be nice too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I actually enjoy having a mix of flowers and vegetables and even berries all mixed togther, but in a pleasing way.
I am putting the taller berry bushes, the raspberries and bush cherries, up along the chain link fence, and they can help with acting as a privacy hedge. In front of that are the lilies and irises, and some ramps and mint plants. Then mixed in with petunias and other bedding plants are my peppers and tomatoes and even some lettuce.
I don't have a regular tilled up garden area in my yard, so I just garden along the sides of the house, and around the fence.

Reaction score
When I planned my little space I currently have, I had been thru all the things of what didn't work. I tried to use cinder blocks as planters, use kiddy pools as raised beds, etc, and none of them worked. So my plan this time has been to take the same space, rework it into a container garden space using the large pots and tubs I already had given to me. It looks good so far. I don't have my whole stash there, but scattered over the patio as well. The cinder blocks make good stacking / retaining walls for holding pots. The next thing garden project will probably be finding shade.

Ask a Question