What was important to you when you designed your garden area?

Reaction score
I started out wanting a flower garden so I could look out the window and see such beauty! Then, due to my research and the fact that some of the flowers didn't grow, it's a veggie/flower garden. So now, I can 'stop and smell the roses' while I pick a peck of pickled peppers! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I didn't have any particular plan by design initially. I just started out with a few plants that became more and more plants. I have found in the past that it's easier to grow herbs and flowers with my schedule, so I more or less focused on those this time around. Gradually, I started adding more edibles and experimenting with different kinds of plants.

Reaction score
It needs to function well above all else. We need space for the furniture, grill, fire pit, etc. The dog needs his space. Then with the space we have left its designed (and this year being redesigned) to get a much space and biggest yield of the berries and veggies we want to eat.
'
Wow! You have a lot to keep in mind for designing your garden's layout. It sounds like such a wonderful retreat and an important part of your home. Must feel wonderful to add more space to it this year.

Design and redesign your garden's layout -- all without getting your green thumbs dirty!
GardenSketch App: http://gardensketchapp.com/
Free iTunes download till Oct 31st, 2014: http://gardensketchapp.com/itunesdownload

Twitter | Facebook | Website

Reaction score
I didn't have any particular plan by design initially. I just started out with a few plants that became more and more plants. I have found in the past that it's easier to grow herbs and flowers with my schedule, so I more or less focused on those this time around. Gradually, I started adding more edibles and experimenting with different kinds of plants.

Love your quote ChanellG! There's always such a feeling of promise when planning what to grow isn't there? Especially when planting in winter. It really does feel like affirming hope for tomorrow!

Design and redesign your garden's layout -- all without getting your green thumbs dirty!
GardenSketch App: http://gardensketchapp.com/
Free iTunes download till Oct 31st, 2014: http://gardensketchapp.com/itunesdownload

Twitter | Facebook | Website

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have not designed my garden yet, but I am looking to make it a place where I can sit for a few minutes and have some me time when I need it. I would love for it to have a seating area complete with a little waterfall and a pond. it will contain many beautiful flowers and maybe a stone walkway.

Reaction score
When you designed your garden what was the most important part to you? The need to have a nice green space to look at or more flowering plants and bushes?

I decided to create a garden using only plants that were native to my region. I also tried to find a combination of shrubs and flowers that would flower at different times of the year, so that something would be in bloom from spring until fall. I also created a flower garden beside my front porch with nothing but roses and a variety of bulbs for an extra pop of color.

Reaction score
The highest priority for my half-acre garden was to have it contain no turf grass, only native plants and wild edibles. I was also designing from a blank canvass (so to speak). I wanted to create a garden that would last for generations, so I took the long view. Instead of filling every spot with a plant, I planned for growth. This is my 5th year and next year I will begin breaking and spreading clumps and doing plant propagation.

If you like this reply, kindly hit "like". I've been posting to the forum and no one has given me a courtesy "like" which is very disheartening.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it designed, but I wanted a place to sit with my daughter and drink lemonade , and some herb plants. So we have a small patio set and some herb and tomato plants outside of our apartment.

Reaction score
The most important thing for me was space. I love a lot of plants but I also like the look of having space in between things so you can fully see their beauty. I think it looks more organized as well. :) I also try to organize plants to accommodate their size which can sometimes be difficult. I like to be able to see each plant . This is important to me as they grow as well. :) I hate to transplant things later! :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I really considered having enough space for all my vegetables. I want them to be able to have enough space between one another, so they won't hinder each other's growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My garden is a no frill basic rectangle laid out to maximize sunlight. Rain is scarce here most of the time so I spent extra time making my rows and blocks slightly curved and placed to minimize rain runoff and erosion. That and being all double dug and raised, nothing special. It was designed for production and ease of maintenance

Reaction score
When i designed my garden area the most important thing to me was having somewhere to relax and unwind...there are times when i need some me time and that's one of the places that afford me such luxury.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I didn't start out with a plan, it all just evolved and is still evolving. I do like to come across snapshots that are appealing as I wander around my garden and as you know that does take planning but often doesn't go to plan due to nature etc. That makes it even more interesting, don't you think? I think it is important for the garden to draw you in, wanting to see what's around the corner. I also have several areas to sit and sip, either chasing the sun or avoiding it, where I can contemplate my garden and decide on want I'd like to add or change or move. I also love to sit on my verandah where I can view most of my garden. I look down on my parterre and see how it nearly is joining into proper hedging. Learning patience really is something necessary as a gardener so that you can "enjoy the journey".

Ask a Question