What Veggie/Herb gives you the most trouble?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe I should keep mine in the car, lol! I used to carry stuff around like that, but now I carry a small purse with just the most essential basic items. I don't shop that much either. For almost the last year or so, most of my food has come from the farmer's market and everything else is bought in small quantities.

Reaction score
I haven't been able to keep my mint plants alive for very long.
They grow, but garden pests find them irresistible and eat them. Allegedly ,ants don't like mint, but I always used to find my mint plants teeming with ants, right before the plants died.

Reaction score
Maybe I should keep mine in the car, lol! I used to carry stuff around like that, but now I carry a small purse with just the most essential basic items. I don't shop that much either. For almost the last year or so, most of my food has come from the farmer's market and everything else is bought in small quantities.

That would be a good idea!

They grow, but garden pests find them irresistible and eat them. Allegedly ,ants don't like mint, but I always used to find my mint plants teeming with ants, right before the plants died.

Are they your typical black ants or are they red ants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

That is so weird! I think that insects learn to adapt just like animals do. If they stayed away from a food source because of a deterrent they would starve and every thing that's living is driven to survive. I think you have to use a combination of things and switch it up. I had a little trouble with my mint, but it didn't have good drainage. Once I repotted it (and separated some) it took off. You'd be shocked if you saw it now compared to what it used to look like.

The next time you have ants try spraying with soap spray.

Reaction score
For me it would be carrots, I tried twice in the past, but for some reason I just couldn't get it right. The carrots were eating by some bug, or not growing properly. This is why I don't like to grow veggies that hide beneath the soil.

Reaction score
When it comes to rosemary i can never get it right; i have lost two rosemary plants since i have being gardening and it's just disheartening.

Reaction score
So far the tricky plant for me has been Jalapenos and Corn. I love them both, but for whatever reason I can't seem to make them work. My first crop of corn I tried, wasn't getting enough pollination from the wind apparently, regardless of the fact I planted them pretty close together. For Jalapenos, I don't know why but they just hate me. The do well in a pot and the moment I put them in the ground they just die. They hate me. Trying a new kind of Corn out and they are almost as tall as me, so we will see how well that goes. For Cucumbers though, I have noticed they like a lot of water, at first mine were kind of making me think "I should just start over" but I gave them a chance and now I have so many cucumbers I can't keep up with eating them, had to pickle some.

Ask a Question