What Veggie/Herb gives you the most trouble?

Reaction score
Sounds amazing! I put some marigolds (in pots) over next to the tomatoes to encourage visits by pollinators, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. It's so hot right now though, I'm having enough trouble just keeping the tomatoes alive. Didn't occur to be to put basil nearby - I should do that!

Oh yes basil and tomatoes love each other. You should read a book about companion planting. The title is "Carrots Love Tomatoes, The Secret of Companion Planting For Successful Gardening" by Louise Riotte. This lady really knew her stuff. She also has another book called "Roses Love Garlic" as well. Unfortunately, she is now dead but the information in these two books alone is worth gold in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, I am aware of companion planting; whenever I have tried planting garlic next to roses it has always disappeared. I may try again in the future with a rose in a container, but for now I don't have any :-( Basil would be much easier to keep alive in the ground, I've had success with that before - though the marigolds I put in the ground with the tomatoes were immediately eaten by snails this time around.

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of companion planting; whenever I have tried planting garlic next to roses it has always disappeared. I may try again in the future with a rose in a container, but for now I don't have any :-( Basil would be much easier to keep alive in the ground, I've had success with that before - though the marigolds I put in the ground with the tomatoes were immediately eaten by snails this time around.

I have always heard that a bowl of beer will work on snails.... I can't remember why it works. I can remember my Mama doing it though. The snails always loved her flowers. I also vaguely remember something about salt and snails as well. I will have to look it up and post it. Now I am longing for some basil. I will have to try and grow some inside this year.

Reaction score
Pumpkins. I grow lovely long vines with lots of beautiful blooms, but no fruit. I think in the last three seasons I've managed exactly one actual pumpkin. I have plenty of pollinators in my yard, too, so I don't think that's the issue. My winter squash grow gangbusters, while not 20 feet away my pumpkins never seem to do anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have always heard that a bowl of beer will work on snails.... I can't remember why it works. I can remember my Mama doing it though. The snails always loved her flowers. I also vaguely remember something about salt and snails as well. I will have to look it up and post it. Now I am longing for some basil. I will have to try and grow some inside this year.

They are attracted to it and they drown. I'm from New Orleans, lol, we don't waste booze, not even beer. Not to mention, it rains way too much for that to ever be effective for more than a day (though most likely a few hours). I have tried a few things already and I am now on the hunt for copper mesh.

Reaction score
Might try wood ash around the plants for the snail and slugs. They don't seem to want to cross it. Yep, salt will take care of snails and slugs but would probably not be good for the plants you're trying to protect

Reaction score
They are attracted to it and they drown. I'm from New Orleans, lol, we don't waste booze, not even beer. Not to mention, it rains way too much for that to ever be effective for more than a day (though most likely a few hours). I have tried a few things already and I am now on the hunt for copper mesh.

LOL oh come on now.... not even the cheap stuff??? Now what exactly will the copper mesh do? You have my attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cheap stuff? Perish the thought! I can't be seen buying that swill! LOL

Here's an explanation of how the copper mesh works. You could also use those pot scrubbers - though I keep forgetting to buy some to try whenever I go out. http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335845186595/

Well, I was going to add an image, but that feature seems to be on vacation this morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, wait! Just remembered you could copy and paste! Here's the mesh

053ec39eb1c5d5a5744bc79bc0f38260.jpg

There's also a slug copper tape you can try

99cca31a79f0572b720811f2e15bd931.jpg

This is the scrubber

2692c287856d7daedef5e4e973da81ee.jpg

Reaction score
Cheap stuff? Perish the thought! I can't be seen buying that swill! LOL

Here's an explanation of how the copper mesh works. You could also use those pot scrubbers - though I keep forgetting to buy some to try whenever I go out. http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335845186595/

Well, I was going to add an image, but that feature seems to be on vacation this morning.

Pinned it and I started following you! LOL @ not buying the cheap stuff. Thank you for the laugh this morning. I am very tired and I need it. I will have to look for this on the market. Where did you buy it? Did they have it at Lowes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I haven't acquired any yet. I did find it available online, and it wasn't as expensive as I thought; I just need to get out and look for it locally. I really think those pot scrubbers placed around would work, I just have to remember to pick some up when I go to the store! I was just in Dollar General the other day getting flower pots (25% off!) and they probably had them, but alas, my mind was elsewhere.

Reaction score
I haven't acquired any yet. I did find it available online, and it wasn't as expensive as I thought; I just need to get out and look for it locally. I really think those pot scrubbers placed around would work, I just have to remember to pick some up when I go to the store! I was just in Dollar General the other day getting flower pots (25% off!) and they probably had them, but alas, my mind was elsewhere.

That is the story of my life. Unless it is on a list it will probably be forgotten. I have seen those copper ones in DG but I have also seen them at the Dollar Tree for cheaper. Surprisingly we don't have many problems with slugs really (or at least not that I have seen). Our true problems have been squirrels and aphids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hmmmm, I may have to take a trip out to Dollar Tree today... Will have to think about what else I might need - which is the problem. By the time I go to the store I have usually forgotten about little stuff like copper pot scrapers - even if I do have a list! LOL

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I may have to take a trip out to Dollar Tree today... Will have to think about what else I might need - which is the problem. By the time I go to the store I have usually forgotten about little stuff like copper pot scrapers - even if I do have a list! LOL
LOL a handy dandy list and coupons are always with me. I keep one of those small document managers (little plastic flip top accordian binder) with my coupons and my lists on me at all times when I go shopping. It is difficult to get out with all 3 kids and I have to make good use of my time when I am out shopping alone.

Ask a Question