What Veggie/Herb gives you the most trouble?

Reaction score
We try to plant the things that we like in our garden. One of my most favorite veggies is cucumbers. I always have a hard time growing them. In all of the places I have lived I have never been able to get cucumbers to grow successfully. I am real big on companion planting and I have always tried to pair up the correct plants together and use the best most organic ways of pest control as well as feeding the plants. It never fails.... my cucumbers are always a flop.

Do you have a specific veggie or herb that you just love but you cannot grow?

Reaction score
Lettuce is mine because something always ends up eating it. I gave up on it for now as I don't even know what eats it! We have a 6 foot fence surrounding the whole yard and have no deer, no groundhogs or anything else. The most we see is wild cats and possums - oh and birds too.

I am surprised your cucumbers don't grow, they grow quite easily here. Maybe the soil or the weather? I am in NJ and I don't have to do anything more then make sure they are growing upward and grabbing the fence instead of other plants. I do water them when they start to get dry, but they are very low maintenance here.

Reaction score
Are you planting the cucumbers too late? Or is it the soil? Cucumbers usually do well on their own after you give them a good foundation. The tricky plant for me is okra I have had some years where I had so much okra I got tired of picking them everyday and other years where I couldn't get one to grow taller than 6 inches my okra is always so sporadic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:DSo far everything in my garden grows like I want it to, I'm very lucky. But I don't grow too many vegetables yet, I'm afraid that soon I'll find something that will give me trouble.
For now, I focus on my newest miniature rose that lost almost all of its leaves:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
This year, even my tomatoes are not growing very well, and I just can't figure out why. The weather has been hot, it not overhot like last year was, and we have has a really rainy summer this year, as well. The grass has been growing so fast that we can arely keep it mowed down fast enough, so you would think that the tomatoes would be blazing along, it they are not.
I have one planted in a container our front that is growing and looking good, but all the rest are thin and scraggly this year.

Reaction score
This year it's cilantro and dill - I have seeded dill 3 times in 3 different places, and it sprouts, and then just seems to disappear. :( The cilantro I simply forgot to plant until I realized that I didn't have any growing when I wanted it one day, so I started it with my 3rd planting of dill, and I don't see any coming up yet. For me it seems to be a different thing every year.

Reaction score
Lettuce is mine because something always ends up eating it. I gave up on it for now as I don't even know what eats it! We have a 6 foot fence surrounding the whole yard and have no deer, no groundhogs or anything else. The most we see is wild cats and possums - oh and birds too.

I am surprised your cucumbers don't grow, they grow quite easily here. Maybe the soil or the weather? I am in NJ and I don't have to do anything more then make sure they are growing upward and grabbing the fence instead of other plants. I do water them when they start to get dry, but they are very low maintenance here.

We have quite a few problems with rabbits getting into our lettuce but our garden is not fenced. I would love to have a fence all the way around it! As far as the cucumbers go I have tested the soil, assured that they get the proper amount of water and fertilezer. I also use the companion planting method but still to no avail. I will get a few on the vine but they never get big. :(

Are you planting the cucumbers too late? Or is it the soil? Cucumbers usually do well on their own after you give them a good foundation. The tricky plant for me is okra I have had some years where I had so much okra I got tired of picking them everyday and other years where I couldn't get one to grow taller than 6 inches my okra is always so sporadic.

No Rzashida nothing seems to work for me. I think it is because I want them so bad. My Mama told me to stop trying so hard and they would work out. That along with praying for them too. ;)

:DSo far everything in my garden grows like I want it to, I'm very lucky. But I don't grow too many vegetables yet, I'm afraid that soon I'll find something that will give me trouble.
For now, I focus on my newest miniature rose that lost almost all of its leaves:(

You lucky girl. I wonder what is wrong with your rose?

This year, even my tomatoes are not growing very well, and I just can't figure out why. The weather has been hot, it not overhot like last year was, and we have has a really rainy summer this year, as well. The grass has been growing so fast that we can arely keep it mowed down fast enough, so you would think that the tomatoes would be blazing along, it they are not.
I have one planted in a container our front that is growing and looking good, but all the rest are thin and scraggly this year.

Lots of farmers here lost all of their tomatoes due to the fact that we have had too much rain. Watermelons had a bad year here as well. Our grass is growing like gang busters too. We had to wait for our yard to dry out some to mow the grass. Keith is outside mowing away right now.

This year it's cilantro and dill - I have seeded dill 3 times in 3 different places, and it sprouts, and then just seems to disappear. :( The cilantro I simply forgot to plant until I realized that I didn't have any growing when I wanted it one day, so I started it with my 3rd planting of dill, and I don't see any coming up yet. For me it seems to be a different thing every year.

I love cilantro and I have had a hard time with it in the past few years. I found a tip on BH&G website about planting them in a container that is a bit shallow. I am going to replant some just to try it. I have never had a problem with dill. My problem is keeping it away from all of the other plants. It is a turn off for several veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You lucky girl. I wonder what is wrong with your rose?

I wish I knew, so I could do something. Unfortunately, I have no idea. The stems are turning brown without any reason:( But there are three green stems left and I noticed a very small and young leaf on one of them today, so maybe the plant will survive. I hope it will!

Reaction score
I wish I knew, so I could do something. Unfortunately, I have no idea. The stems are turning brown without any reason:( But there are three green stems left and I noticed a very small and young leaf on one of them today, so maybe the plant will survive. I hope it will!

I hope that you get it figured out and it sounds promising that you have a new leaf and green stems today!

Jed

Reaction score
The reason why I can't grow some herbs and vegetables is the altitude and temperature. It's impossible to grow most variety of tomatoes except the tiny Tim and pumpkins and corn are out of the question. Basil one of my favourite is lucky to reach 6" high.
Lime trees I've had two over the years in my poly tunnel just gave up the ghost though a lemon tree grows reasonably well in the same environment.:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Herbs are so easy for me, but I have never successfully grown any vegetable. This year I planted carrot seeds and something at the sprouts so when things cool off again I am going to try again indoors and then put the carrots some place protected. I just planted a sprouted mirliton, but as soon as I put it in soil it started dying. I am still waiting to see if I will get to harvest garlic...

Reaction score
The reason why I can't grow some herbs and vegetables is the altitude and temperature. It's impossible to grow most variety of tomatoes except the tiny Tim and pumpkins and corn are out of the question. Basil one of my favourite is lucky to reach 6" high.
Lime trees I've had two over the years in my poly tunnel just gave up the ghost though a lemon tree grows reasonably well in the same environment.:confused:

Oh Jed that must be very disappointing at times.

Herbs are so easy for me, but I have never successfully grown any vegetable. This year I planted carrot seeds and something at the sprouts so when things cool off again I am going to try again indoors and then put the carrots some place protected. I just planted a sprouted mirliton, but as soon as I put it in soil it started dying. I am still waiting to see if I will get to harvest garlic...

I think basil is my favorite herb to grow because it is so forgiving. I have had basil forests before and loved it. My carrot flopped on me last year and my garlic was so so this year. I hope your garlic harvest turns out great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think basil is my favorite herb to grow because it is so forgiving. I have had basil forests before and loved it. My carrot flopped on me last year and my garlic was so so this year. I hope your garlic harvest turns out great.

Oooh! I would love a basil forest; that must smell so wonderful! Actually, I almost did have a Thai basil forest, lol. That stuff spreads everywhere! This year a few plants came up on their own this year and I wanted the container so I repotted them elsewhere. One is quite tall and healthy and I just gave a smaller one to a friend.

Reaction score
Oooh! I would love a basil forest; that must smell so wonderful! Actually, I almost did have a Thai basil forest, lol. That stuff spreads everywhere! This year a few plants came up on their own this year and I wanted the container so I repotted them elsewhere. One is quite tall and healthy and I just gave a smaller one to a friend.

My basil forest smelled so very good. I had it surrounded with tomatoes, peppers and marigolds. I had such an abundant crop of all of it. The marigolds, basil, tomatoes and peppers were all plentiful. I never lacked for salad that year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My basil forest smelled so very good. I had it surrounded with tomatoes, peppers and marigolds. I had such an abundant crop of all of it. The marigolds, basil, tomatoes and peppers were all plentiful. I never lacked for salad that year!

Sounds amazing! I put some marigolds (in pots) over next to the tomatoes to encourage visits by pollinators, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. It's so hot right now though, I'm having enough trouble just keeping the tomatoes alive. Didn't occur to be to put basil nearby - I should do that!

Ask a Question