What Type of Fern is the easiest to maintain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a very old "Christmas" Cactus that my grandmother tended to. It still produces flowers around the xmas time on the normal average and lightens up the environment. It's also relatively easy to maintain, being in a glass case with rocks and sand. Just gotta watch out for that POKE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

What i like most about staghorn ferns is when they drop a leaf its big.
when the leaf hits the floor you crumble it up and tuck it back into the plant,

Very beautiful, and very big. LOL

Just a little FYI for everyone.... your typical wild fern shoots make an amazingly delicious vegetable. My mother used to pick them every year by the bag fulls in Georgia. I love the stuff. Here is a quick way to prepare it that I know of. Trust me... if you have not tried it, you should. I know a lot of recipes for wild vegetables that you have growing in your yards (most of which you may think are weeds) that are amazing and better for you then the vegetables then you buy at the grocery store.

Here is the recipe for the fern shoots.

Boil in salted water (the water level should be 3 inches past your wrist, I am not sure of the measurement. After finished boiling (about 10 to 15 minutes hard boil) add 1/4 cup soy sauce (add more if you like), 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1/2 sesame seeds. If you like it spicy add either hot pepper flakes or sauce. I usually eat this rice. I personally like it way better cold, but some people like it hot. You have to decide for yourself on that one. Enjoy!

ca03fa6972a2d5fc4908d46356cdc01f.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think I will start a thread on this and post pictures of the different edible weeds that I know of and see if others know of any to add. You will be amazed at how many things you see as a nuisance and yank out are actually stuff you can eat that is better for you then half the vegetables that you buy from the store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My favorite is the sword fern. As a native of the Northwest these babies are everywhere. They're pretty hardy as long as they're well drained, got slightly acidic soil and can handle light amounts of fertilizer.

Ask a Question