What type of weed this is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New member here so forgive me if this isn't the right sub for this type of question.

There is a weed growing in my lawn which is proving to be a pain. It's got tiny thorns and hair on its stem and even with the lightest of touch these penetrate your skin and cause irritation. I tried to uproot it yesterday and I still feel irritation in my fingers. I should have worn gloves :(.

Anyway, I have attached some pics. My best guess is that it's bramble but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_102618.jpg
    IMG_20180507_102618.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20180507_102638.jpg
    IMG_20180507_102638.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 226

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes! Stinging nettle which will giving you several hours of tingling sensation if you're unfortunate enough to brush past just a tiny bit of it. But I have been actually keeping some of them to make fertiliser, just to save a bit of money. Also, to stop the thugs next door visiting my garden at night.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys. I have googled stinging nettle and it is definitely stinging nettle. Glad I dont have to worry about my hands as everyone suggest it would go back to normal after a while.

I'll be careful next time but what baffles me is that some people also consume stinging nettle! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It looks like it's small enough where you can handle it, because it's not fully matured. Here's some more on the various stinging nettle plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They have their uses, but I’d say thick gloves would remove it. Then find the parent plant and remove that, and any others you find.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In Britain there are two species of Stinging Nettle commonly encountered. The annual Urtica urens, and the perennial Urtica dioica. The leaves of both can be variable in appearance.

If possible, do leave some Nettle in you garden. It offers many benefits to wildlife and beneficial insects, including being the larval food plant for several butterflies such as the Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta). If you have a healthy colony you might even harvest some new growth as a nutritious and delicious potherb. When cooked like spinach, the stinging hairs are deactivated.

Ask a Question