What to to next with my cherry tomatoes and basil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again for the help.
I repotted them today. I watered them a few minutes after repotting to make them more stable in their new homes. For now, I am planning to keep them indoors because it is too windy here.
One thing that concerns me is their leaves. As you can see in the pic, the leaves are kinda not looking healthy (or it is my wrong perception because they are pointing downwards). Do these look normal to you?
Probably transplant shock or in need of water. Since you have already watered them wait until tomorrow to see if anything changes. I think they are OK.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
I am wondering why my tomatoes only grow vertically :-D. It is very tall now but skinny. Is this growing pattern normal to you or should I do anything?

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a lack of sufficient sunlight. It needs to be outside. Having said that it MAY partially be a varietal issue. Is this plant an indeterminate cherry variety?

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
It is a lack of sufficient sunlight. It needs to be outside. Having said that it MAY partially be a varietal issue. Is this plant an indeterminate cherry variety?
Thanks Chuck for the reply.

I try my best to put them outside but these days we have thunderstorms every now and then with very strong wind which makes it impossible for them be outside. Having said that, being outside doesn't really mean enough sunlight anyway.

I still have the seed box, so I can check again to see if the type is mentioned on it.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Yes, either repot them into 5 gallon buckets or larger or place them into the ground. To get them out of the container first squeeze the sides of the container to loosen up the soil. Then place your left hand with your fingers spread and the plant between your fingers turn the container upside down and squeeze the bottom of the container and remove it with your right hand.
Hi,

An update and a question.

My cherry tomatoes now are flowering (yayyy) and actually one of them is producing a tomato as you see in the picture.

The problem though is that they have their roots out of their pots (as in the picture). I am going to repot them today in a 10-liter pot (maybe bigger?). However, I am very worried that the flowers may get hurt during this process and also the roots. Especially because the pot is made of clay. So I was thinking of two options:
1) to repot them with their current pots (just to put the small pot in a bigger one),
2) to break their current pots and repot them properly.

What is your idea?

Thanks.
Moh.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

An update and a question.

My cherry tomatoes now are flowering (yayyy) and actually one of them is producing a tomato as you see in the picture.

The problem though is that they have their roots out of their pots (as in the picture). I am going to repot them today in a 10-liter pot (maybe bigger?). However, I am very worried that the flowers may get hurt during this process and also the roots. Especially because the pot is made of clay. So I was thinking of two options:
1) to repot them with their current pots (just to put the small pot in a bigger one),
2) to break their current pots and repot them properly.

What is your i

Thanks.
Moh.
As I said before, a 5 gallon or closest equivalent minimum size pot. You will not hurt the roots if you are careful. When you remove the plant from the container you will see that it is rootbound. Gently squeeze the rootball so as to loosen up the roots before planting into the ground or another pot. Planting the pot they are in now into another larger pot will not work.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
As I said before, a 5 gallon or closest equivalent minimum size pot. You will not hurt the roots if you are careful. When you remove the plant from the container you will see that it is rootbound. Gently squeeze the rootball so as to loosen up the roots before planting into the ground or another pot. Planting the pot they are in now into another larger pot will not work.
Thank you Chuck.

I repotted them and now they have a huge space to grow. One incident happened to one of them though :-( and half of her root is gone now. Is there any chance to save her? :-(

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hi again,

I have a couple of questions, thank you in advance.

1) After repotting the tomatoes, I can feel a boost in their growth, however, I realized that in almost all cases, the blossoms either do not turn into a flower (and a tomato afterward as shown in the attached pictures) or this process is super slow. I felt like it could be because of low nutritions in the soil. Therefore I bought a tomato liquid fertilizer. I always keep them outdoors so that they get the most sun that's available. Any comments?

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

2) I noticed that some of the foliages are not in good state, as shown in the attached picture. I started spraying Neem oil. Is that the way to cure/prevent more of them?

IMG_3176.JPG

3) As the tomatoes are becoming really big, I thought of buying some sticks to help them stand straight up. For that, I went to a shop and bought one that they suggested. However, they suggested me to put the stick next to the plant deep into the soil. It sounds like a good idea to me. However, I find it dangerous to the root. For now, I put a bit further from the plant (shown in a picture), but I think it cannot protect the plant against strong winds. What is your idea? Any better options or ideas?

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-18 at 13.45.27.jpeg

Thanks very much for your kind comments and help,

Moh.

PS. the half-rooted tomato survived and now has some blossoms :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi again,

I have a couple of questions, thank you in advance.

1) After repotting the tomatoes, I can feel a boost in their growth, however, I realized that in almost all cases, the blossoms either do not turn into a flower (and a tomato afterward as shown in the attached pictures) or this process is super slow. I felt like it could be because of low nutritions in the soil. Therefore I bought a tomato liquid fertilizer. I always keep them outdoors so that they get the most sun that's available. Any comments?

View attachment 25902
View attachment 25903

2) I noticed that some of the foliages are not in good state, as shown in the attached picture. I started spraying Neem oil. Is that the way to cure/prevent more of them?

View attachment 25904

3) As the tomatoes are becoming really big, I thought of buying some sticks to help them stand straight up. For that, I went to a shop and bought one that they suggested. However, they suggested me to put the stick next to the plant deep into the soil. It sounds like a good idea to me. However, I find it dangerous to the root. For now, I put a bit further from the plant (shown in a picture), but I think it cannot protect the plant against strong winds. What is your idea? Any better options or ideas?

View attachment 25905

Thanks very much for your kind comments and help,

Moh.

PS. the half-rooted tomato survived and now has some blossoms :).
#1 Tomatoes are extremely temperature sensitive. If the temperature isn't exactly right the buds will not open fully or if they do will soon fall off. Tomatoes will only reliably set fruit when the NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURE is between 68F- 74F. Not every bloom will set fruit even in perfect temperatures. Tomatoes should be fertilized regularly although with liquid fertilizers more often.
#2 Your foliage appears to have old damage caused by any of a number of insects. I see no new damage so your neem is working.
#3 Your plants are very leggy, meaning that they are in the shade too much and are trying to grow into the sunshine. If you can move them into a more open area away from that wall which is causing them to be shaded. The sticks are OK although you might want to put more than one into each pot.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
#1 Tomatoes are extremely temperature sensitive. If the temperature isn't exactly right the buds will not open fully or if they do will soon fall off. Tomatoes will only reliably set fruit when the NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURE is between 68F- 74F. Not every bloom will set fruit even in perfect temperatures. Tomatoes should be fertilized regularly although with liquid fertilizers more often.
#2 Your foliage appears to have old damage caused by any of a number of insects. I see no new damage so your neem is working.
#3 Your plants are very leggy, meaning that they are in the shade too much and are trying to grow into the sunshine. If you can move them into a more open area away from that wall which is causing them to be shaded. The sticks are OK although you might want to put more than one into each pot.
Thank you Chuck.

Unfortunately, that is all I have. My balcony is blocked by that wall.
I'm going to fertilize them every week with the liquid fertilizer (as suggested on the box).
Regarding the stick, in this picture, I have marked (white-red) the place that I mean to put the stick. Is that okay? Doesn't it harm the root?

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-18 at 13.45.27.jpeg

Thanks again,
Moh

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Regarding temperature, is it a good idea to move them indoors at those nights that are below the ideal temperature?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Regarding temperature, is it a good idea to move them indoors at those nights that are below the ideal temperature?
Only if it is going to be below 55F.
Can you get a table to put your plants on to raise them above that wall or get some 2x4 lumber and some plywood and make a table. That is as good a place as any for the stick although I would sharpen the end to allow it to pass by the roots instead of plowing through them

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Today I noticed some strange things on my tomatoes. Could you please see what it is and how I can get rid of it?
DSC_0333.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg

Ask a Question