I want to use seeds for next year

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. Im sure you all know this , but buying plants gets expensive !
So next year is like to use seeds from this year's garden , and start from them in the spring .

How do you go about this ?
Mainly I'd like to keep my squash seeds, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
3nd gen production may suffer, if they get hybridized.

Wait for others, this an interesting thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey all. Im sure you all know this , but buying plants gets expensive !
So next year is like to use seeds from this year's garden , and start from them in the spring .

How do you go about this ?
Mainly I'd like to keep my squash seeds, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons
It is easy to harvest seeds. The problem is that most plants you buy are hybrids and hybrid seeds do not, in most cases, come true. In other words, if you plant seeds from hybrids you will not get the same plant. It could be close to the same or it might be really different. And yes, buying plants is expensive but there are many many seed companies out there and purchasing seeds is a LOT cheaper than buying plants.
To collect your seeds you collect seeds from a mature fruit. And by mature I mean either nearly completely ripe or in the best circumstance totally, even over ripe and close to falling off of the plant. There are many ways to cleaning and saving seeds. Just google saving seeds and there will be a ton of information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I save seeds whenever I can, hard part can be designating space for the plants you want to save seed from. Saving seed is different for each plant, I suggest googling each. Also it's true hybrids don't come true to seed, but the resulting strain can be just as good as the hybrid. With that said, I try to avoid hybrid seeds whenever possible though, merely because they aren't proven producers like some of the heirlooms that have been around for a lot longer and I find the yields are generally poorer.

Ask a Question