My Garden just got new soil- best way to prep for next year?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello- New member from eastern Massachusetts. I just had 20 yards of screened loam added to my garden to fix a few sinkholes. In some places the new soil is almost 2 feet deep. My garden is about 500 square feet. I plan to add a lot of organic material such as compost, peat moss and the like in the next week or so and will roto-till this in.

I've never planted anything such as a winter rye but hear that this may be beneficial. I'd welcome any ideas / suggestions on how best to have the garden ready for next season. I plant about 1/2 veggies and 1/2 annuals.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most plants like slightly acidic or slightly alkaline soils. I don't know what type of soil you have but by adding peat you are making the soil more acidic. If it were me I would just add copious amounts of manure and compost, till it in and cover with more manure and compost.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, you are in zone 6. That tells me you are pretty much safe to plant outside around Mother's Day. You have about 8 months to amend your soil.

ma.jpg

I live in a small town surrounded by farmland. If we bag our leaves in the fall, the farmers will come and take them. If you can get some fall leaves, it wouldn't hurt to till them in. Bonus points if you can chop them up with a mower first! (y)

If you live close to a coffee shop or even a convenience store or restaurant that is busy in the morning, you could take them a couple 5 gallon buckets and ask them to save their used coffee grounds for you. (There's a guy on YouTube that hits up his local Starbuck's once a week. :ROFLMAO: ) If you do this, tell them they can save the filter, too. It becomes brown material.

If you can get fresh manure to put into the garden now, it would probably be aged enough in 8 months to plant in. If you have access to a livestock farm, riding stable, or a local FFA or 4H member whose project is raising an animal, there's a resource. The longer you wait, it'll change your options. I'm not sure of the order, but horse, cow and chicken manure needs to age longer. Goat and rabbit manure can be added later. o_O I think. :unsure:

If you can put a bag on your mower, you can add grass clippings. (Try to mow before any weeds go to seed. ;) )

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks- I learned some things, never new about the peat. I have access to compost from Maine that is quite rich with all kinds of good stuff. I'll be tilling lots of it in and I also have access to some left over salt marsh hay (from the spring cut) that I can spread over the surface for the winter. I've never really paid much attention to the soil pH but will now. I've heard that the state of Mass. will do a soil analysis for free if you send them some, so I'll be looking into that.

Thanks !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll definitely use the lime. Over the winter I'll burn about 3/4 of a cord of firewood (mostly Oak) so I'm thinking about spreading the ashes out in the garden over the winter and then tilling them into the soil in the early spring. Should I limit the amount of ash I add?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll definitely use the lime. Over the winter I'll burn about 3/4 of a cord of firewood (mostly Oak) so I'm thinking about spreading the ashes out in the garden over the winter and then tilling them into the soil in the early spring. Should I limit the amount of ash I add?
Ashes and lime will raise your soils Ph or increase its alkalinity. Adding sulfur will lower your soils Ph or increase its acidity. Adding greens or compost will add to its acidity slightly. I would not add lime, ashes or sulfur until you know what your soil is, either acidic or alkaline.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again - I think I best start with some soil testing to see where I'm currently at. I'm going to stop at the local garden center on my way home this evening and pick up a test kit. I have a fairly small garden but really want to get it right for the next growing season. The advice is much appreciated !
Back yard1.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most plants like slightly acidic or slightly alkaline soils. I don't know what type of soil you have but by adding peat you are making the soil more acidic. If it were me I would just add copious amounts of manure and compost, till it in and cover with more manure and compost.
@Chuck, most of my suggestions were based on the idea that Uncleman has 8 months to amend his soil. (Well, everything except the manure, I'd add to my garden anytime!! :D )

Everything in my post are also things I would add to a compost pile.

Of course, :( I can't find your post now that I want to re-read it, but I remember you saying something about adding molasses to a compost pile to speed up the beneficial microbes.

Would you please re-post the "how-to" of using molasses? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, most of my suggestions were based on the idea that Uncleman has 8 months to amend his soil. (Well, everything except the manure, I'd add to my garden anytime!! :D )

Everything in my post are also things I would add to a compost pile.

Of course, :( I can't find your post now that I want to re-read it, but I remember you saying something about adding molasses to a compost pile to speed up the beneficial microbes.

Would you please re-post the "how-to" of using molasses? :)
Molasses does nothing for plants but it does wonders for the life forms in the soil which enable the plants to uptake nutrients. Adding molasses is not a one time thing. Soil microbes have a life span just like everything else so the adding of molasses is an ongoing process. If your garden has a lot of organic material in it, the adding of molasses increases the number and the longevity of those microbes. By increasing the number of microbes over the winter months they will greatly enhance the decomposition of the organic matter you have added, thus when you plant in the spring your plants will have plenty of nutrients to feed upon. My recipe is simple. About once a month I water my garden with 2oz per gallon of water. In places where the ground freezes I would add dry molasses at about 4 lbs per 100 sq ft. now, at the same time you would add and till in manure or some other organic soil amendment before the ground freezes. You can always add more molasses later if you climate permits.

On a compost pile about 2 oz of molasses per gallon of water every 2 months. It all depends on how much new matter is added to the pile and how big the pile is. You cannot add too much molasses

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you!! :) (This page is now bookmarked! :D )

In places where the ground freezes
Do the microbes freeze in winter? Or go dormant? My Ohio winters are much colder than yours...would it be a waste to use in my temperatures? (In winter...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!! :) (This page is now bookmarked! :D )

Do the microbes freeze in winter? Or go dormant? My Ohio winters are much colder than yours...would it be a waste to use in my temperatures? (In winter...)
I don't know if they freeze or not. If they froze it would seem like they would be dead but I just don't know. It is never a waste to use molasses. Do it now and as soon as the soil thaws.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ended up dropping off a soil sample from my garden (4 places, mixed together) at a local garden supply spot. They are going to do a soil test for me ($5). They've got plenty of material to add to the soil based on the test results. I'm figuring that I've got time this fall to get the soil preparation started for the next season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the idea of a soil test. They should have the materials at a garden center to be able to give you the make up of your garden. I mean you can guess at the elements that are present in your soil, but that is really all it would be. I think people need to find the type of soil they have in order to plant the kind of crops that will be successful in their soil.

Ask a Question