What to do about this bamboo?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
How about this lucky bamboo? Beautiful root system ? But no sign of putting out leaves !
I just changed the water. Thought to myself maybe I should not have done so. Lovely dirty swampy looking water: wouldn't that be better for the plant than clean new rainwater with nothing in it up hydrogen and oxygen?
bamboo.jpg
bamboo.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.. Lovely dirty swampy looking water: wouldn't that be better for the plant than clean new rainwater with nothing in it up hydrogen and oxygen?
Rainwater contains nitrates which are made up of nitrogen and oxygen and are formulated by nature for maximum uptake by your plants. Also, it contains many other nutrients such as potassium, phosphorous, calcium etc. It is far better for your plants than tap water.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, just so. Tapwater isn't in question here. Just new rainwater or leave the old rainwater and top it up. And just how long before this plant decides to put out some leaves? Is it to be considered healthy in its current state?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Put it closer to a light source. They will SURVIVE in low to moderate light, but they grow faster in bright light. You could add some liquid fertilizer to the water to encourage more growth too. About 1/4 strength.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've always been frightened of putting it in sunlight. My experience is they have always burned readily. But that's leaves. That's not a leafless stalk. I'll try. Thanks. I'll get some liquid fert, too. Could we make our own from compost: soak compost, use the liquid? Thought just crossed my mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They burn because they’ve been grown in shaded greenhouses. Acclimate them gradually to brighter light and they do fine. I wouldn’t put it in direct sun all day, but a few hours won’t hurt.
Since it’s well rooted ‘compost tea’ probably won’t hurt if it’s diluted.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
They have not burned because I've put them out in the full sun They've been indoor plants and I've had a couple close to a SE facing window. Over the seasons the sun has worked around to shining through that window for a while. And leaves have burned. Making me think it's a very delicate plant probably from rain forest floor or somewhere where it never gets full sun.

Ask a Question