Horsetail screens in planters as a Bamboo alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love the look of bamboo in a planter when used as a screen. However I'm too lazy and hate the idea of repotting all the time - and I can't keep putting larger pots up there, or pull it all out to fit it back down to size.

I've recently read about Horsetail. That it looks like thinner bamboo, but with max height of 1.5m. That height is ideal, as we don't want anything taller than 2m once you include the planter. It doesn't flower, so I shouldn't have lot of sweeping to do. I have not ready anything about the need for it to be repotted, is this correct? As the repotting is the aspect that worries me. Does this mean I get something that is a lot lower maintenance in the long run?

Mark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is very invasive, and produces very deep roots which are difficult to get rid of. You should be all right so long as you can confine it to a planter, but although it doesn't flower it does produce spores which can spread it. I'd be cautious of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you recommend something similar? An evergreen bamboo-like screen that is going to be easy maintenance and not need repotting or splitting every year?

Ask a Question