Horsetail in veg patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice, I’ve found horsetail weed in my raised beds with my potato’s and onions. Even in my carrot bed. Will i not be able to eat the produce because of this weed, thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For horses and cows it is fairly toxic it they eat a lot of it. Humans actually eat the stuff. I never have but others say it tastes sort of like asparagus.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is fairly rampant on our allotment site both my neighbours have it. You can keep cutting it off but it won't go away. You cannot set anything near it. The only thing that kills it is Kurtail from Progreen but that will kill everything. I have a little but the way I keep it under control is I cut the bottom off a pop bottle and put the bottle over the horsetail and spray it. Within a week its dead. I may have to spray the odd bit that reappears but I have it under control. One of my neighbours just ignores it but it is gradually taking over his plot. It does not usually appear until May time. I understand that Kurtail will no longer be sold after this year so I bought an extra bottle. It is not cheap but it works.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One of the reasons it is so difficult to kill is because the leaves are waxy & liquids just run off.
Try rubbing it with neat washing up liquid (dish soap) then using a spray of 50% acetic acid (extra strong vinegar).

Ask a Question