Vegetable/herb seedlings

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a newbie. Just learning to plant my own herbs/vegetables. I'm just wondering why my zucchini seedlings are turning the color they do. And is my basil plants ok to be planted the way I did. With many in the pot. I started then in small pots indoors under a grow light, then eventually put them outdoors so I can start new vegetable for later

Reaction score
Country
United States
20211105_163654.jpg

Zucchini

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like mildew on the zucchini, things like squashes, pumpkin, cucumber and courgette seem to be very prone to it. No doubt someone here can advise you about it, I don't worry myself, it doesn't seem to worry the plant too much, maybe I would take off those leaves, the rest of the plant looks lovely and healthy.
The basil certainly wants a bit more room, hold them by the leaf part and gently tease the plants apart to plant them separately, don't do it by the stem if you can help it, plants only have one stem, irreplaceable, they can grow new leaves if inexperience damages them a bit. Winter is just starting here, but I guess there are parts of the US where the growing season is year round, if it is possible try planting the basil in different places, in the ground, in a greenhouse, in pots indoors in different positions, it's a good way of discovering what works for you.
Tip with home grown basil, my missus always washes everything, but basil loses a bit of flavour when you wash it. Pick out some nice fresh leaves and use them straight from the plant when it's ready. With tomato and a bit of balsamic vinegar it can be stunning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you have making all those lines on the leaves are called leaf miners. A moth flies in and lays its egg. The egg hatches and the little caterpillar burrows his way into the interior of the leaf where he spends the rest of his life going around in circles eating the leaf from the inside out. There are systemic poisons for leaf miners but you would not want to use them on edibles. Leaf miners normally do not do major damage to a plant. It is more of a cosmetic thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you have making all those lines on the leaves are called leaf miners. A moth flies in and lays its egg. The egg hatches and the little caterpillar burrows his way into the interior of the leaf where he spends the rest of his life going around in circles eating the leaf from the inside out. There are systemic poisons for leaf miners but you would not want to use them on edibles. Leaf miners normally do not do major damage to a plant. It is more of a cosmetic thing.
Thank you for your insight. So I can still use the vegetables from this plant? Is it still good to use or do I have to do something about it. What can I use to deter these kind of bugs without harming the plant and with still being edible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your insight. So I can still use the vegetables from this plant? Is it still good to use or do I have to do something about it. What can I use to deter these kind of bugs without harming the plant and with still being edible?
Yes, you can still eat the vegetables. There really isn't much you can do and as I said it is just cosmetic. Remove the affected leaves if you like. To deter this bugs would mean spraying Bt every 2 or 3 days for the life of the plant and since nothing is actually harmed why bother.

Ask a Question