Chicken Manure to Feed Potted Bamboo?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I read that my potted bamboo need a nitrogen rich LIQUID feed early in the season - examples given are nettle tea or manure tea (none of which is available to me right now).

Would it be OK to scatter on some pelleted chicken manure now? I know it's nitrogen rich, but will the nutrients get to the roots of the bamboo quickly enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All of the organic fertilizers take time to break down into plant usable nutrients. I'm not sure exactly how long it does take though since soil temp and soil microbes will affect the breakdown times.

I don't know anything about bamboo but I imagine it shoots up fast in the spring. If so, you many want to just use a general synthetic fertilizer like a 10-10-10 to get the nitrogen in faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
All of the organic fertilizers take time to break down into plant usable nutrients. I'm not sure exactly how long it does take though since soil temp and soil microbes will affect the breakdown times.

I don't know anything about bamboo but I imagine it shoots up fast in the spring. If so, you many want to just use a general synthetic fertilizer like a 10-10-10 to get the nitrogen in faster.
Thanks - that's very useful info. I hadn't considered the delay.

I've read to use a liquid high nitrogen fertilizer once in spring then a general 10-10-10 weekly for the rest of the growing season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing I know of that is organic with high nitrogen and is a liquid is urine. It kinda sounds like they are describing a synthetic water soluble fertilizer like Miracle Grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I know of that is organic with high nitrogen and is a liquid is urine. It kinda sounds like they are describing a synthetic water soluble fertilizer like Miracle Grow.
The examples given were nettle tea or manure tea. I'll have both later in the year, but too early for me to have made any.

I have miracle grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Susan, what variety of bamboo are we talking about? Is it going to be confined to its pot? I have clumpers and runners, and have never ever given them any extra feed of any kind. They do very well, in fact too well all on their own.

As an afterthought, if you are meaning the ''lucky bamboo'' you can actually do that harm if you over fertilise, and then just ONE drop of baby bio per month would be enough. Those can go quite yellow if over fertilised.
They need acid conditions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Susan, what variety of bamboo are we talking about? Is it going to be confined to its pot? I have clumpers and runners, and have never ever given them any extra feed of any kind. They do very well, in fact too well all on their own.

As an afterthought, if you are meaning the ''lucky bamboo'' you can actually do that harm if you over fertilise, and then just ONE drop of baby bio per month would be enough. Those can go quite yellow if over fertilised.
They need acid conditions.
It's Golden Bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea). It's a clumper and it will be in a pot permanently. We bought them last year and potted them up into 60L containers. So far, we haven't fed them at all but last year they had a huge container full of new compost to work though.

p.s. I REALLY want to look after them as they are the only defence between us and our neighbour's newly constructed raised deck/viewing platform!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I read that my potted bamboo need a nitrogen rich LIQUID feed early in the season - examples given are nettle tea or manure tea (none of which is available to me right now).

Would it be OK to scatter on some pelleted chicken manure now? I know it's nitrogen rich, but will the nutrients get to the roots of the bamboo quickly enough?
Now, that's what is called spoiled bamboo. :)
Bamboo is an extremely hardy plant, and will plow through the toughest of soils.

First it sleeps, then it creeps, then it streaks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It's Golden Bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea). It's a clumper and it will be in a pot permanently. We bought them last year and potted them up into 60L containers. So far, we haven't fed them at all but last year they had a huge container full of new compost to work though.

p.s. I REALLY want to look after them as they are the only defence between us and our neighbour's newly constructed raised deck/viewing platform!!!

We grew bamboo years back in a rock-lined trough, that not only blocked out the neighbors view, but also a fair amount of morning light.
Be careful where you plant it - regardless of the species.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We grew bamboo years back in a rock-lined trough, that not only blocked out the neighbors view, but also a fair amount of morning light.
Be careful where you plant it - regardless of the species.
It's on a patio which has a good 3ft of hardcore beneath the paving slabs!! The reason it's in containers is because there is nowhere to plant in the ground where we need the privacy screen. It's on a N.W boundary - it would only shade the last couple of hours in the evening and even that isn't an issue as by that time the house is casting shade on the garden.

Essentially, our neighbour built a raised deck which leaves his knees level with the top of the 6 foot boundary fence. So he peers down on our deck and patio (and all of our garden for that matter). This would be unacceptable whoever it was, but this man is a menace. He's a lonely widow, but part of the reason he's lonely is because if he manages to corner you he'll talk at you for hours on end. It's impossible to get away from him. He also talks ABOUT everyone so I really do what to keep solid boundaries between us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now, that's what is called spoiled bamboo. :)
Bamboo is an extremely hardy plant, and will plow through the toughest of soils.

First it sleeps, then it creeps, then it streaks.
But surely there's a difference between a container and the ground? In a container there's no source of nutrients other than what you put in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry it took so long to get back. That one is lovely, although it's actually a runner, but that's not a problem as these will be contained. Fertiliser was the question. I would personally use a handful of Osmacote slow release pellets once a year, and they will grow lovely and thick and lush. Slow release, particularly that one is what the growers use mostly. We swore by it at the nursery. I would save the chicken pellets for the veg patch. I think you chose well, and this will make a wonderful screen, not only from prying eyes, but also as a windbreak. I don't set much store by ''Miracle grow'' for any purpose!

Your garden sounds really interesting. Would like to have a look ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Susan BBPM when it comes to nuisance neighbours, we sympathise. We have one of those too. She has three(used to be four) big alsatian dogs that bark incessantly, the poor things are shut in a yard with no way to even see out. She has kept a sheep inside the house recently which occasionally escapes. She has infiltrated the entire village with farm cats too. Ziggy is badly allergic to those, and they get in all the sheds/outbuildings, stink everywhere out, soil the compost in the potting shed, and get into the house if and whenever they can. We can't leave a window open, or a door. The stink of urine is dreadful. I wish she'd go away and take it all with her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry it took so long to get back. That one is lovely, although it's actually a runner, but that's not a problem as these will be contained. Fertiliser was the question. I would personally use a handful of Osmacote slow release pellets once a year, and they will grow lovely and thick and lush. Slow release, particularly that one is what the growers use mostly. We swore by it at the nursery. I would save the chicken pellets for the veg patch. I think you chose well, and this will make a wonderful screen, not only from prying eyes, but also as a windbreak. I don't set much store by ''Miracle grow'' for any purpose!

Your garden sounds really interesting. Would like to have a look ??
The garden is still a bit of a work in progress. We have a large raised deck with a large raised patio below (the bamboo is for the end of the patio). Below that is a hill running down to a stream. So about 2/3 is on a hill with a flat area at the bottom.

We have 4 beagles so protecting plants was what guided the design. I have a vegetable garden that's fenced off all around - that's at the top of the garden. There's an area of raised beds at the top and the bottom half is a food forest. Influences are 'Hobbiton' from lord of the rings, potager, permaculture etc.

On the other side we have a fenced off area with all our compost heaps and raspberries, blackberries etc.

Down the bottom is a fruit orchard and wildflower meadow.

I'll get lots of photos this year - hubby is a photographer. Here's a couple from last year to give you an idea of what we're trying to achieve. As you can see, we have an amazing view!

From the top looking down:

IMG_2509 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

From inside the veg garden:

ERM_4132 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

From the bottom looking up (you can make out the bamboo on the patio to the right of our house):

ERM_4084 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Susan BBPM when it comes to nuisance neighbours, we sympathise. We have one of those too. She has three(used to be four) big alsatian dogs that bark incessantly, the poor things are shut in a yard with no way to even see out. She has kept a sheep inside the house recently which occasionally escapes. She has infiltrated the entire village with farm cats too. Ziggy is badly allergic to those, and they get in all the sheds/outbuildings, stink everywhere out, soil the compost in the potting shed, and get into the house if and whenever they can. We can't leave a window open, or a door. The stink of urine is dreadful. I wish she'd go away and take it all with her.
Ours has lived beside us for about 12 years and has always been fine until recently.

His wife died about 6 years ago. After that he became a bit of talker - if he cornered you it was very difficult to get away. But he was always respectful of privacy so we had no problem with him whatsoever. We went out of our way to be nice to him. But last year he had an extension built and spending time on the scaffolding looking down on us seemed to go to his head. He had planning permission for a 1m raised deck along the back of the house (which wouldn't have been a problem) but he built a 3m deck with a big viewing platform extending even further. So essentially his feet are pretty much level with the top of the 6 foot dividing fence. That would be bad enough, but anytime he sees you out in the garden he shouts down to you. If you respond with a 'hi' he'll trap you into a 3 hour monologue. You can't get away!! As fast as we put up privacy screens he started cutting down trees and shrubs in his garden to give him a better view of us! He's completely blocked out now, but it's been a nightmare (not to mention expensive). And of course, now he's in a huff and probably plotting revenge.

Ask a Question