What soil doesn’t suck!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m at my wits end! I feel like Iv searched the entire internet and can’t find a conclusive answer so I’m coming to the people who would know the best!

all I’m I after is some soil that isn’t infested! I used a miracle grow and repotted all my plants and they all got root rot and fungus gnats! Iv lost a few plants and I’m trying to save my aloe Vera currently. My Monstera deliciosa is ok I think! But I lost my dragon tree.
Also. Most of my plants had/have a white fur on surface. Only a small amount but just thought I’d add that.

please could anyone reccomend a soil that I can get in the U.K.? Wether that’s one for aloe Vera or a general one that I could add stuff to to make it easier draining on my aloes!

also I know I can sterilise the soil by baking it in my oven although I’d rather not have to go through this process.
Thanks for any advice!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @OwDotzz

Your problem is not in the soil at all. As we are talking about indoor plants, I assume they are planted in multi purpose compost - (Jack`s Magic is a good one )

The big problem here is too much water. During the cold months many houseplants are lost to this problem. They like to rest until spring and should be watered very sparsely and never left to sit in water - ever. They also don`t want fertiliser until the growing season.
The fungus gnats are a sure sign that your plants are far too wet. These are not the easiest pest to get rid of, but it can be achieved with patience.
If ever needed, we use those sticky yellow patches that you can get easily on line. Then you need to eliminate the little worms that love the moist compost. If you still have sound roots on your plants you could try taking them out of the wet compost and repot into drier conditions with new compost and added grit for good drainage.

If things are that bad, you could just start again..... sometimes that is easier and a bit less soul destroying :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @OwDotzz

Your problem is not in the soil at all. As we are talking about indoor plants, I assume they are planted in multi purpose compost - (Jack`s Magic is a good one )

The big problem here is too much water. During the cold months many houseplants are lost to this problem. They like to rest until spring and should be watered very sparsely and never left to sit in water - ever. They also don`t want fertiliser until the growing season.
The fungus gnats are a sure sign that your plants are far too wet. These are not the easiest pest to get rid of, but it can be achieved with patience.
If ever needed, we use those sticky yellow patches that you can get easily on line. Then you need to eliminate the little worms that love the moist compost. If you still have sound roots on your plants you could try taking them out of the wet compost and repot into drier conditions with new compost and added grit for good drainage.

If things are that bad, you could just start again..... sometimes that is easier and a bit less soul destroying :)

Hi!
thank you so much for your response that’s really helpful! Is the soil compromised now? Or should it be left and then reused. I feel like Iv only just replanted everything and the problem has persisted but I did water them!

you also recommended Jack’s magic, I had miracle grow so I’ll switch to that!
Thank you!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The worms (maggots) of the fungus gnats (or sciarid fly) is what you need to get rid of - they eat away the plant roots, and they don`t do too well with no roots, that`s why I suggested fresh compost. Any of those little wrigglers that get left behind will turn into more flies, and so the circle keeps going.
Just watch the watering or else you`ll just kill everything with kindness :oops:
1613600428255.png
Get some of these........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ignore the white fuzz. It's just an organic matter decomposing fungus that is growing on the soil and completely harmless to the plants. You also have plants that like very different soils. The Aloe wants a soil that is mostly inorganic (sand, perlite, grit, lava) and the others want a soil that is more organic (peat moss, compost, bark). The components are more important than the name on the bag.

Ask a Question