How do i increase sulphate levels in my soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a soul test done and it shows low levels of nitrogen and sulphate. Nitrogen is easy fix,my question is how in bust sulphate. My PH s ideal for my situation 6.7 so I don't think I want to use elemental sulpher, as that would lower PH. I know Gypsum is a option but I have a medium high level of calcium already and don't want to over do that. Are there any other options iam not concidering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got a soul test done and it shows low levels of nitrogen and sulphate. Nitrogen is easy fix,my question is how in bust sulphate. My PH s ideal for my situation 6.7 so I don't think I want to use elemental sulpher, as that would lower PH. I know Gypsum is a option but I have a medium high level of calcium already and don't want to over do that. Are there any other options iam not concidering?
Do you mean that your soil is low in sulfur? There are many kinds of sulfates such as copper sulfate, iron sulfate, ammonium sulfate and others. Adding elemental sulfur takes quite some time before it is available for uptake in plants. Having said all of this adding copious amounts of manure will quickly add sulfur to soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you mean that your soil is low in sulfur? There are many kinds of sulfates such as copper sulfate, iron sulfate, ammonium sulfate and others. Adding elemental sulfur takes quite some time before it is available for uptake in plants. Having said all of this adding copious amounts of manure will quickly add sulfur to soil.
Hmmm, well I suppose that's what I mean, the results say low level of SO4-S. Says to add 0 elemental sulfur but add .6lbs of SO4-S per 1000sq feet. I was wondering if there were any individual additive i could use to accomplish this. I do add well compsted chicken manure compost when I plant, will that boost my levels or do I need un composted manure?
Thanks for the help!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm, well I suppose that's what I mean, the results say low level of SO4-S. Says to add 0 elemental sulfur but add .6lbs of SO4-S per 1000sq feet. I was wondering if there were any individual additive i could use to accomplish this. I do add well compsted chicken manure compost when I plant, will that boost my levels or do I need un composted manure?
Thanks for the help!!!
Basically you can add SO4-s by just using composted manure. Elemental sulfur is not uptaken by plants but the sulfur is changed to a sulfate by soil microbes and this is available as uptake. Epsom salts is a good additive for increasing SO4-s so between manure and ES you shouldn't have a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I read this:

SO4-S can be obtained from Gypsum ( CaSO4 ), Potassium Sulfate or any Sulfate fertilizer such as Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper, and Ammonium Sulfate.

And I surmise that means look to your other needs and tag it with a sulphate. Here I would generally choose the potassium sulphate given a choice.

Also, since its acidic and you are balanced to your liking, an equal amount of lime perhaps with other trace needs could be used to offset such acidity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I put Gypsum in my garden all the vegetable taste gritty like they are full of very fine particles of sand. Drywall = Sheetrock = Gypsum. Drywall mud is Gypsum it also works good for BER but I never put Gypsum in my garden anymore I don't like vegetables that are gritty.

Each garden vegetable needs its own type fertilizer.

Onions need 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate the first 6 weeks. Sulfur in 21-0-0 fertilizer aids in helping onions grow very large with very good flavor. Nitrogen helps onions grow large green leaves when plants have about 13 leaves switch to 0-20-20 fertilizer to grow very large onion bulbs. Nitrogen grows onion tops then P&K grows large bulbs. Competition onion contest grow onions 5" diameter. When growing large onions start with seeds that have DNA to grow large onions. Full sun all day & lots of water.

Potatoes like 5.5 PH to 6 PH soil slightly acid but NOT 21-0-0 fertilizer if you give potatoes too much nitrogen you get LARGE plants with not many tomatoes. Potatoes do best with 0-20-20 fertilizer with a small amount of 5-0-0 in the beginning. Be very stingy with nitrogen. Potatoes need lots of water.

Tomatoes need 5-10-30 fertilizer, potassium promotes lots of blossoms that become lots of tomatoes. Low potassium blossoms fall off. Too much nitrogen plants get LARGE with not many tomatoes. Early morning full sun cool part of the day then full shade after 12 noon until dark if you live where summer is hotter than 90°F.

Beans do great with 15-15-15 fertilizer. Beans can take nitrogen from the air but it is not enough for the plants.

Corn need 15-15-15 in the soil with 46-0-0 before planting seeds. When plants are knee high 46-0-0 1lb for every 20 ft. When ears make silks plants need 46-0-0 1lb every 20 ft. Full sun & lots of water.

Do not broadcast general purpose fertilizer all over your whole garden each plant needs a specific fertilizer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
To make soils less acidic, the common practice is to apply a material that contains some form of lime. Ground agricultural limestone is most frequently used. The finer the limestone particles, the more rapidly it becomes effective. Different soils will require a different amount of lime to adjust the soil pH value. The texture of the soil, organic matter content and the plants to be grown are all factors to consider in adjusting the pH value. For example, soils low in clay require less lime than soils high in clay to make the same pH change.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some 30% vinegar. My wife is afraid of it. Maybe she will leave my biologics alone. Scary trichoderma! But sulphur is also a nutrient where acetic acids not so much.

I always mix 5% grocery store vinegar with enough water to make 1% vinegar so it is not too strong and damage plants. If you mix your 30% vinegar with 29 parts water you get 1% vinegar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I always mix 5% grocery store vinegar with enough water to make 1% vinegar so it is not too strong and damage plants. If you mix your 30% vinegar with 29 parts water you get 1% vinegar.
Or dead weeds, and when you let mother nature add the water it becomes less of a problem on naked gardening day.

Ask a Question