New Soil with cigerette ashes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everybody!

The name is Andy and I'm new to everything gardening. I just moved into my first house with piece of property for a little garden. Only problem is, the previous owner through their cigerette buds and ashes into the soil. I threw out all the buds. I'm still skeptical if the soil is good for organic gardening. My gut tells me to just change the soil. What do you guys think? Is my soil safe for any organic planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IF there is anything detrimental it is very very minor. If you are worried about it just drench the soil with molasses @ 2 oz per gallon of water. This will greatly enhance soil microbes which clean the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What @Chuck is saying is that bacterial enzymes are able to dissolve the very rock in your soil- so anything, including elements is fair game for them to eat. Processing chemically into a foodstuff nutrient means when they die they leave said appropriate foodstuff where they lay, quite often near the moisture of roots. Thus, fertilizer happens. 'Tis an old system.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody!

The name is Andy and I'm new to everything gardening. I just moved into my first house with piece of property for a little garden. Only problem is, the previous owner through their cigerette buds and ashes into the soil. I threw out all the buds. I'm still skeptical if the soil is good for organic gardening. My gut tells me to just change the soil. What do you guys think? Is my soil safe for any organic planting?

Hello!
I don't know if this is true, but I saw it on the internet today:

Toxic Ingredients
Tobacco contains heavy metals and other chemicals, which can poison creatures that eat discarded tobacco cigarette stubs. The toxic elements also leach into soil and water. The concentration of unwanted elements alters soil's chemical balance and acidity, which affect the health of plants growing in the soil. The most harmful ingredients in cigarette ash include lead, nickel, titanium and zinc, which are released rapidly into soil and water in strong concentrations; the ingredients barium, strontium, manganese and iron wash out more gradually over weeks.

I hope this helps!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah so I guess my gut was right. I gotta get rid of this ash soil or I'll never feel safe feeding the crops to my baby.

Ask a Question