Aroid soil mixture?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I recently bought three aroids - two arrowhead vines and one silver sword philodendron. They’ve been acclimating for a few weeks and I’d like to repot them as they arrived (I got them on Etsy) with the roots already poking out of the plastic pots. I don’t have aroid soil mix. My question is: if I mix my Miraclegro cactus & succulent soil mix with my regular organic houseplant soil mix, will that work for the aroids? Or should I just buy soil for aroids? My local nursery doesn’t sell aroid soil mixtures nor does the local Home Depot and I don’t know if I want to buy each individual ingredient and make my own mix. (Not a lot of cabinet space left in my apartment to store my plant supplies lol.) If I should just buy a pre-mixed soil, do you have any recommendations for where to look for that and which ones work best? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Happy plant journey. I am leaving a link to one of the Crazy Plant Guys videos. He is fun to watch and has lots of good information.
. He may have videos about your specific plants. Know in advance, different varieties might have slightly different requirements and have fun with your new plant babies.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aroids are a massive group of plants that found in many different places around the world. Some are epiphytic and will need a free draining humus rich mix, others are virtually bog plants that require constantly damp compost. Some come from tropical forests and require high humidity and temperatures, others can be qrown outside in the UK in humus rich free draining soil. No one mix will suit all the best thing is to find out about your plant, see where it originated and what conditions it grows in there and then try to give your plant those conditions.

Ask a Question