What music are you listening to?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I found a near mint copy of Linda Ronstadt's "Tracks of my Tears." on eBay for £3.99.
I've got it on a Ronstadt album and Smokey Robinson's original record is in the smaller jukebox, but I fancied this for the other one. It arrived today.
So as I've naff-all to do except watch tennis on the TV, I tried it out on my vintage hi-fi.

This is my Philips turntable I bought in 1972. I've looked after it, lubricated it when necessary and replaced the drive belt. It's had different cartridges over the years. Presently it was using a second hand Shure M75 ED, I bought which is of a compatible era.

P1010447.JPG

It's linked to the second-hand Leak 2000 tuner/amp of a similar era I bought over a decade ago to replace a Philips 790 I bought in 1972. I liked it so much I bought a second one! That's in "my office" upstairs. Then to the Goodmans speakers I bought in 1972.

P1020091.JPG

I've also got a Rotel RX 152 as a spare.

However, when I tried out the record I found the right-hand channel wasn't working.
I went through "the usual suspects" and concluded it must be the cartridge.
Fortunately, I had a spare Shure cartridge, the type used in my jukeboxes, so I swopped them over.

Fortunately, the tone arm head shell slides out, it would have been a nightmare to slide on the four little wires on the replacement cartridge if it didn't.

P1010448.JPG

Tried out and it's working perfectly.
Then just had to print off a title card from a pdf. I stopped the printer after a couple of seconds, so I didn't waste a lot of ink.

1706632274336-8d89e98a-2886-4b6e-8262-5f68c3a37f3e_1.jpg

Then a case of choosing a record to take out. In this case, Blondie's Sunday Girl.
This joined the others "presently out of favour" in a cupboard.

P1010380.JPG

Then, move the others around in the carousel to keep the "alphabetical order by artist's name," positions.

and it was good to go,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Booker T and the MG's
Went to YouTube reminded by Big Rockpiles post, next up was Little Richard, Lucille, started my day well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Music related topic.

No golf today as the course is closed, due to heavy rain yesterday
So I decided to sort out my spare records for the jukeboxes. All these records are very old though in playable condition. However the paper sleeves of most were pretty tatty. With many, if you picked it up by the sleeve, it was as likely to fall out the bottom as not. They are sitting on the pull down flap of the big wall unit in our front room. Behind it is an, "illuminated cocktail cabinet." We don't do cocktails, my wife uses it to store some of her card making stuff.
I save the title cards in the record sleeves, saves printing a new one if a record becomes, "in favour again."

P1010460.JPG

No problem, I ordered some new ones!

The rack is back on the bottom shelf of the cupboard above the cabinet.

P1010461.JPG

Job done (I had the rack in front of me on my piano stool whilst I was watching the tennis on the TV).

When I got into jukeboxes, over fifteen years ago I decided I needed a record rack, so looked for one on eBay, there were hardly any, as this was before "the vinyl revival."
But I found this little firm on the internet that did "retro stuff." So this is of a classic sixties design. It wasn't that expensive either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is just music related.
A major story in the on-line news today, is that Travis Kelcey's girlfriend Taylor Swift, has landed at LAX airport after a performance in Japan, in time to see him play in the Superbowl, for the Kansas City Chiefs against the San Francisco 49rs in Las Vegas, tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This might amuse.
Record stores are like hens' teeth in some areas, there's none in the immediate vicinity for me. But there must still be thousands in America and many in cities around the world.
An audio message board I frequent has a long-running thread, nearly 300 pages, which shows photographs of record shops past and present uploaded by contributors.

Here's one in Florence.

locale1-1.jpg

locale1-2.jpg

locale2-2.jpg

And one in the UK.

03fotar.jpg

Ask a Question